- Directory structure
- Version 2.3.0 changes
- Password strength guide
Yii2-basic-template is based on yii2-app-basic created by yii2 core developers, but it also uses some of the features presented in their advanced template too. There are several upgrades made to this template.
- This template comes with almost all features that default yii2-app-advanced has.
- It has additional features listed in the next section of this guide.
- Application structure has been changed to be 'shared hosting friendly'.
- Signup with/without account activation
- You can chose whether or not new users need to activate their account using email account activation system before they can log in.
- Login using email/password or username/password combo.
- You can chose how users will login into system. They can log in either by using their username|password combo or email|password.
- Rbac tables are installed with other migrations when you run
- RbacController's init() action will insert 5 roles and 2 permissions in our rbac tables created by migration.
- Roles can be easily assigned to users by administrators of the site.
- Session data is stored in _protected/session folder.
- System setting are stored in config/params.php file.
- Theming is supported out of the box.
- Translation is supported out of the box.
- Administrator+ roles can manage users.
- Password strength validation and strength meter are included out of the box.
- Simple role management is included out of the box.
- Code is heavily commented out.
>Note: I am assuming that you know how to: install and use Composer, and install additional packages/drivers that may be needed for you to run everything on your system. In case you are new to all of this, you can check my guides for installing default yii2 application templates on Windows and Linux Ubuntu/Mint operating systems, posted on http://www.freetuts.org .
1) Create database that you are going to use for your application (you can use phpMyAdmin or any other tool you like).
2) Now open up your console and
` to your web root directory,
3) Run the Composer
composer create-project nenad/yii2-basic-template basic
4) Now you need to tell your application to use database that you have previously created. Open up main-local.php config file in
and adjust your connection credentials.
5) Back to the console. It is time to run yii migrations that will create necessary tables in our database. Move to the
folder and execute./yii migrate command
or if you are on Windows:
6) Execute rbac controller init action that will populate our rbac tables with default roles and permissions:
or if you are on Windows:
You are done, you can start your application in your browser.
Info: First user that signs up will get 'theCreator' (super admin) role. This is supposed to be you. This role have all possible super powers :-) . Every other user that signs up after the first one will NOT get any role by default. This is because authenticated user (@ by default) is same like our member role.
If you want to run tests you should create additional database that will be used to store your testing data. Usually testing database will have the same structure like the production one. I am assuming that you have Codeception installed globally, and that you know how to use it. Here is how you can set up everything easily:
1) Let's say that you have created database called
`. Go create the testing one called
2) Inside your
config file change database you are going to use tobasic_tests
3) Open up your console and
` folder of your application.
4) Run the migrations again:
./yii migrate or if you are on Windows
5) Run rbac/init again:
./yii rbac/init or if you are on Windows
6) Now you can tell your application to use your
database again instead ofbasic_tests
` config file again.
7) Now you are ready to tell Codeception to use
_protected/tests/codeception/config/config.php file tell your
to use basic_tests
8) Start your php server inside the root of your application:
php -S localhost:8080
9) Move to
, runcodecept build
` and then run your tests.
Directory structure ¶
_protected assets/ contains assets definition components/ contains custom made application components config/ contains application configurations console contains console commands (controllers and migrations) controllers/ contains Web controller classes helpers/ contains helper classes mail/ contains view files for e-mails models/ contains model classes rbac/ contains role based access control classes runtime/ contains files generated during runtime tests/ contains various tests for the basic application views/ contains view files for the Web application widgets/ contains widgets assets contains application assets generated during runtime themes contains your themes
Version 2.3.0 changes ¶
1) Adds components folder to the _protected folder, and Aliases class in it.
2) Articles have been removed from the template.
3) Themes have been changed.
4) A lot of code improvements have been done.
5) More translation messages have been added.
6) We are using password strength widgets made by Kartik V. now.
Password strength guide ¶
Since 1.1.1 version has been released, password strength extension has been included as a core part of improved templates. Usage is very simple:
In our signup, user create/update and password reset forms password strength meter is always displayed when users are entering their password. This will give them visual representation of their password strength.
But this is not all. As The Creator you have option in your settings "Force Strong Password" that you can use. If you turn it on, users will be forced to use strong passwords according to preset you chose. For example if you use normal preset, users will be forced to use at least 8 characters long password, with at least one upper-case and one lower-case letter, plus at least one digit.
By default normal preset is used for signup and user create/update forms. For password reset we are using custom made preset, if you want to customize which presets is used, see SignupForm model, User model and ResetPasswordForm model. You will see rules declared for using strong passwords. Presets are located in
`. You can chose some other preset declared in presets.php, or create new ones.