A few month ago we have replaced the old Yii Framework website with a rewritten version in Yii 2. While developing the new site, we also discussed the replacement of the old IPB forum software with a more modern solution, but replacing the forum together with the site would have been too much work to do at once.
From a long discussion, which started already a few years ago, we have now evaluated different forum software and decided to go with Discourse, which is an open source forum software made by the people who created also StackOverflow. We are going to replace the old forum with a Discourse instance starting tomorrow (September 4, 2018).
Here is a list of things that are going to change:
- User accounts will be managed by the website, there is no duplicate login as we have it now, and all users are signed in to the forum via SSO.
- Forum categories, topics and posts are migrated from the old forum, so no content will be lost (we might re-arrange the categories though).
- Links from the old forum should all be redirected to the new location. If you hit broken links, please report those to us!
- Watched topics and watched forums are not going to be migrated, so if you want to get notified about new posts, make sure to visit the new forum and configure your notification settings as well as update watched topics.
- User badges on the website do not include the forum posts anymore, instead we are using the Badge system by Discourse, which has a lot more badges than we had before.
- Discourse allows you to configure it to behave like a mailing list, so if you prefer to take part in Yii discussions from your email client, you can do that now.
There is a forum topic for discussion on this announcement.