Use Two Tables And One Login Form To Log In

Hi guys,

I need your help, i want to use the same login page ( site/login ) to authenicate two different type of user ( Customer and Employee ), Customer and Employee are two separated table in database.

So if someone knows how to do it, i’ll be very glad.

Thanks

You need to modify the authenticate() method of your UserIdentity component. Instead of using one model (one table) to check for login access, check both tables.

As a side note I think you should not have your customers and employees in separate tables. They should be in one user table and one column that says what type of user they are.

I agree with you and maybe topic starter would find single table inheritance pattern helpful in his task.

Thank you guys for your fast responses. Unfortunately, in specifications book, i have to separate Employee model and Customer model ( There is many fields not in commen between them).

So if someone has an idea to make this possible, it’s gonna be very helpful for me.

Again thanks guys.

I don’t see any difficulties with it. :) nkd already described how to make authentication against two models. Anything else should also leverage both models (e.g. users sign up, user validation, etc.) same way.

Two or Mulit log-in in single form

see wiki - http://www.yiiframework.com/wiki/779/how-to-pass-the-third-parameter-to-useridentity-on-login-authentication/

You could do two different logins and two tables

Employees & customers

or

Use one login and

Three tables

Users

keep users as lean as possible so you can keep the users in memory for scaling

• id
  • username/email
  • password
  • name
  • other common fields i.e. name
  • type (I.e. 1 / 2 / 3 or employee / customer

Employees

• user_id ( i would make this the users id)
  • other not common fields

or

• id
  • user_id (index)
  • other not common fields (for normalization)

Customer

• user_id ( i would make this the users id)
  • other not common fields

or

• id
  • user_id (index)
  • other not common fields (for normalization)

you would check the login against the user table. You could set the after login to redirect to either customer page or employee page based on the value in the user table type.

It would be quite slow and difficult to scale if you where checking multiple tables on the same login.