I build this simple PHP class (DialogBox.php at the bottom of this wiki) to help you in the dialog box usage on Yii applications. The goal is run any Yii actions into this dialog box and return the resulting value to the calling instance.
Most applications will have one or two sidebars and often you want to control the content that should appear in the sidebar based on the action. For example you will want to show something different on the homepage as opposed to some view page. While achieving this you generally also want to avoid putting the layout into each view, as that would mean if you wanted to change the layout (e.g. put the sidebar on the left instead of the right or do some funky layout which requires an additional div tag to be added) you'd have to go through every view, which does not achieve good code re-use. It is also bad practice to have lots of if statements in column2 layout just so that you can generate the sidebar correctly.
The yii2-detail-view extension offers you an easy way to EDIT and VIEW your model data, toggle these modes, and adds other features. You can read the extension documentation and/or view a demo of this extension, to understand usage.
With Bootstrap 3 and its inbuilt support in Yii Framework 2.0, you would see quite some new ways of creating HTML markup and styling your site. However, with version 3 of Bootstrap, tooltips and popover are not activated by default on your elements. Assuming you have activated the Bootstrap 3 tooltip plugin - how do you easily enable display of tooltips/popovers across your site?
After a lot of research, everything I found on adding date range searching to a CGridView advanced search form seemed to involve adding two new public variables (e.g. $date_from, $date_to), 'safe' rules for the new variables, and a rather chunky if/elseif/else check in the search() method. This probably isn't a hassle for most, but because many of the tables in my database contain two or three and sometimes four date columns (e.g. date_created, date_modified, date_deleted etc.), it meant I was having to add up to eight public variables, the corresponding safe rules, and modifying the search() criteria for each date attribute. So, I set about creating a better way and I thought I'd share my work with the community.