This page is created to supply short directions and general tips for managing a Yii application in NetBeans IDE.
1. Code completion ¶
To get context sensitive code completion, follow these steps:
- Include Yii folder (assuming it is properly placed outside project directory)
- Open "File > Project properties > PHP Include Path" and add the Yii framework root path
- Ignore yiilite.php to avoid doubled/missing documentation
- Open "Tools > Options > Miscellaneous > Files"
- Add to the front of "Files Ignored by the IDE" the file "^(yiilite\.php|CVS|SCCS|...."
- Restart NetBeans
- Code completion in view files ###
- Add the following PHPDoc statement at the head of the file to use code completion in view files. (you may add additional passed parameters as well)
- Typing suggestions: Ctrl-Space
- Show Function parameters: Ctrl-P
- Comment your own code with PHPDoc style. Here's a good example.
2. Code templates ¶
You can create code templates for commonly used/overridden function in Yii.
For example, if you want to add an beforeSave() function in your model, by typing a shortcut you can automatically have the function template in place. There are additional shortcuts for common stuff like Yii::app(), Yii::t(), Yii::app()->user->checkAccess(), and more!
- Download this template set to get started: http://fbe.am/hly (version 2). View all available commands in this printable cheat sheet.
- Go to "Tools > Options > Editor > Code Templates"
- Hit "Import", select the file, and choose "Code Templates"
- You might get an error message "invalid zip file" if you are importing to a older/newer version of NetBeans. Open up the zip file, edit build.info, and set the correct path to Userdir.
protected function beforeSave()
3. Testing ¶
To run functional tests and unit tests in Yii, recommended is installing PHPUnit and SeleniumRC.
- Install PHPUnit
- Install SeleniumRC by getting the NetBeans plugin
- Open "Tools > Plugins > Available Plugins"
- Install "Selenium Module for PHP"
- Configure project options
- Open "File > Project properties > Sources" and set "Test Folder" to [PROJECT ROOT]/protected/tests (If the whole project testing doesn't work, try [PROJECT ROOT]/protected/tests/unit)
- Open "File > Project properties > PHPUnit" and set "Use Bootstrap" to [PROJECT ROOT]/protected/tests/bootstrap.php, and "Use XML Configuration" to [PROJECT ROOT]/protected/tests/phpunit.xml
- Test whole project: Alt+F6
- Test single file: Shift-F6
- Check code coverage (right click project > Code Coverage)
4. Debugging ¶
- Install Xdebug (usually already available in your installation):
- Include the Xdebug extension for PHP:
- Debug project: Ctrl-F5
- Use breakpoints, walk through running code, and watch variables and objects in real-time. :)
- If you want to stop the debugger from pausing on the first line for every request, simply turn that "feature" off by clicking: Tools > Options > PHP > Debugging > Stop at First Line (uncheck)
5. Navigation, wizards, additional code completion ¶
Install a special Yii plugin.
Got problems or questions? ¶
Do NOT post a comment on this wiki page, but go to the forums: