Active Record external attribute issue in relationship method

I have an issue where I have an external attribute I am trying to access within a method generated via a database table relation. I am not sure why when I set the value of the attribute before the method is called via eager loading the value of the attribute is seen as empty.

Code snippets are as follows:

class Module extends \yii\db\ActiveRecord

{

protected $externalAttribute;

public function setExternalAttribute($value){

$this->externalAttribute = 1;

}

public function getExternalAttribute(){

return $this->externalAttribute;

}

public function getUserModules($parameters){

$join = [];

if( !empty($this->getExternalAttribute()) ){

$join = ['children'=>function($query){

$query->andWhere('children.Module_Id <> children.Parent ')->orderBy('children.Order, children.Module_Name');

},

'children.childrenStatus'=>function($query){

$query->andWhere('childrenStatus.Status = :status',[':status' => "Installed"]);

}

];

$module = Module::find()->where('module.Status = (SELECT Status_Id FROM status WHERE Status = "Installed") ')->innerJoinWith($join)->orderBy('Order, Module_Name')->all();

}

return $module;

}

public function getChildren()

{        

if( !empty($this->getExternalAttribute) ){

return $this->hasMany(Module::className(), ['Parent' => 'Module_Id'])->where('menuItems.Status = (SELECT Status_Id FROM status WHERE Status = "Installed") ')

->from(['children' => Module::tableName()])->innerJoinWith(['menuItems'=>function($query){

}

]);

}        

}

}

$module = new Module();

$module->setExternalAttribute(1);

$modules = $module->getUserModules($parameters);

Based on my class highlighted above, when the getUserModules method is called, checking the getExternalAttribute, the externalAttribute attribute has a value of one, but when the active record find method is executed which executes the getChildren method, the externalAttribute is now empty. Could someone provide some clarity on what I would have to do to maintain the value when the eager loaded relation is triggered.

I have found that using static based attributes seem to resolve the issue I am having, so this if there are more efficient means of achieving a solution for my problem, I am open to receiving them.

Thanks in advance.