Yii, outdated and a bad choice

Plase read the the first answer and the interview, then share your comments. Thanks.

https://www.quora.co…eIgniter-or-Yii

PS: Sorry, I wrote a wrong title, it should be " Yii, outdated and a bad choice[size="4"]?[/size]"

I think that answer is very confusing. Every framework is a set of well thought compromises. Yii is not an exception. Sometimes a straightforward solution which is often considered a bad practice is the best solution because of various reasons such as performance, simplicity or final code syntax. This is especially true if the task solved is well known and solution isn’t ever going to change. This is a case for all frameworks out there I’ve tried without exceptions.

Calling Yii outdated doesn’t seem to be correct. Bruno Skvorc is referring to 2014 interview with Mark Safronov who indeed didn’t like Yii much but not because it is outdated.

At the time of the interview, 2014, dependency container in Yii was weaker in its features and was not documented properly. Now both of these issues aren’t actual. Well, at least I hope people are becoming aware of container after reading official guide.

Another issue he’s mentioning is about not small enough methods in some cases so one needs to copy lots of code when overriding. This is being constantly improved with each release and I am sure that it’s way better since 2014.

2 Likes

@samdark, thanks for taking the time to answer this topic.

I think Bruno’s answer is very irresponsible and biased for newbies who want to start using a framework. No silver bullet. And if we talk about speed and performance, Yii is the best choice in full-stack category:

https://github.com/k...ework-benchmark

https://github.com/k...p-orm-benchmark

http://blog.a-way-ou…work-benchmark/

Nothing is perfect :)

Besides the fallacy of reading outdated, and highly opinionated, web-content - I think the ‘article’ linked to falls into the category “why I prefer [language_1] over [language_2]” - we need to realize that there is no such thing as the perfect thing.

That said, Yii 2 is for me the closest thing to perfection. :)

It is small, flexible and easy to extend/override.

You can use full blown ActiveRecord, Query Builder or DAO. Or raw SQL.

Many people don’t like that Yii uses array based configuration, but I think that’s what makes it great :)

It is so easy to override/extend/customize everything, from components to controllers, modules and helpers.

I have been tempted to look into Symfony or Laravel or other frameworks, but I find that they either do too much or too little. That they force me to do things a certain way, or either leave too little or too much freedom.

I still haven’t found something better than Yii 2 ;)

Edit:

CakePHP 3 is quite close, though.

1 Like

@jacmoe, thanks for response.

[size="2"]

[/size]

[size="2"]True, everything in life has trade-offs.[/size]

[size="2"]The answer and the artical are the typical rants [/size]

I agree!

I love this

IMO, configuration via arrays is one the awesome things in Yii

Again, true!

I think Yii is very balanced about this

Yes!

Edit:

CakePHP is a good framework too

Trivia:

I actually switched from CakePHP to Yii in 2009 (IIRC) and haven’t looked back. Yii proved to be faster and less resource hungry.

I don’t think the difference is that big any more.

1 Like

I have worked with Zend Framework 2, CakePHP, Yii framework 2 (for 3 years) and currently with Laravel 6. I would like to say that Yii framework 2 is still a great framework:

• Light weight framework, but yet meets many needs to build large applications.
  • Well documented.
  • ActiveRecord and Query Builder are great. Nothing is less about that.
  • Nice and clean syntax.
  • Fast performance.
  • Separate of concerns.
  • Flexible and simple

What I do miss in Yii framework, compared to Laravel framework, is the Laravel’s official packages. This does not mean that Yii framework does not have such official packages what Laravel offers. Maybe I might not know about that!

2 Likes