beforeSave not being called

Hi,

I addedd the protected function beforeSave to a model class in order to fill some fields that are not user input.

The Controller is calling the ‘save’ method but beforeSave is not being called. I even tried to put an exception as the first line of the beforeSave function but nothing happens.

Thanks in advance.

Can you show a code of your model & controller? beforeSave() is always called when a record is being inserted/updated.

But in Yii’s cookbook there is something like

public function beforeSave() {

if ($this->isNewRecord)

$this->created = new CDbExpression('NOW()');

else

$this->modified = new CDbExpression('NOW()');

return parent::beforeSave();

}

Note that the function is declared as public and there is a call to the parent’s beforeSave() method also

This is working around here, have you tried this way?

regards

I always declare all after/before functions as "protected", because they are protected in the parent class and should not be called outside it (or any descendant).

Did you return true at the end of your function?

I don’t understand why people always say to return true in the end of “before” methods. If you’ll return true, an event “onBefore…” won’t be called! You should always put “return parent::beforeSave()” in the end of redefined beforeSave() method (same for other “before” methods, and without “return” for “after” methods).

And I don’t think it’s the problem there, since man said he put Exception at the first line…

Sorry if it is "offtop".

True. I was not sure if the user has included "return parent::beforeSave()" as the user did not show any code. Sorry if my comment does not help

Here is the code:

protected function beforeSave()

{

if(parent::beforeSave())

{

if($this->isNewRecord)

{

$this->create_time=time();

}

return true;

}

else

return false;

}

THe controller function is the following:

public function actionCreate()

{

$model=new Group;

if(isset($_POST[‘Group’]))

{

$model->attributes=$_POST['Group'];

if(!$model->save())

throw new CHttpException(400,Yii::t('base','Save failed.'));

$this->redirect(array('view','id'=>$model->id));

}

}

The funny thing is that if add the following line:

throw new CHttpException(400,‘Hello’);

as the first line in the beforeSave function, it is never called (so beforeSave is never called).

If I add the following line:

$model->create_time=time();

just before calling the save function in the controller, then the exception is thrown (so beforeSave is called).

I find no logical explanation for this behavior.

Your code looks alright.

Do you have any rule set on the create_time attribute? (maybe post your rules() method, too.

b.t.w. if you enter code, please use the ‘[ code]’ and ‘[ / code]’ tags (without the spaces in it), that way it will be displayed nicely.

If validation doen’t pass you would not reach the (protected) beforeSave()method. BTW remember to call parent or the onBeforeSave event would not fire.

There is also a (public) beforeSave() event handler, e.g in CActiveRecordBehavior.

/Tommy

I removed create_time from the required rule. Now it works. Validation was not passing.

Thanks to everybody.