override CMenu isItemActive() to activate menu according to GET parameter

hi all,

I ran into a situation in which I am using CMenu [very nice widget] for my main menu. However, three of my menu options use the same controller/action and only different id parameter. So when I clicked one of the three menu options as a result all three were marked as active. So I decided to extend the CMenu class and customize it in a way that Yii decides which option is active according to the ‘id’ attribute. If you know a better solution please share.

I created a new file in components and named it CCustomMenu.php

In the layouts/main.php file make sure that the label of the menu is identical to the id attribute:

<?php $this->widget('CCustomMenu',array(

'items'=>array(

array('label'=>'Home', 'url'=>array('/site/index','id'=>'Home')),

array('label'=>'Services', 'url'=>array('/site/index','id'=>'Services')),

array('label'=>'Projects', 'url'=>array('/site/index','id'=>'Projects')),

array('label'=>'About us', 'url'=>array('/site/page', 'view'=>'about')),

array('label'=>'Contacts', 'url'=>array('/site/contact')),

array('label'=>'Login', 'url'=>array('/site/login'), 'visible'=>Yii::app()->user->isGuest),

array('label'=>'Изход ('.Yii::app()->user->name.')', 'url'=>array('/site/logout'), 'visible'=>!Yii::app()->user->isGuest)

),

)); ?>

in my CCustomMenu.php I override the isItemActive() function to change the logic a bit:

protected function isItemActive($item,$route)

{

if(isset($item['url']) && isset($item['label']) && is_array($item['url']) && isset($item['id']) && strtolower($item['label'])===strtolower($item['id']))

{

if(count($item['url'])>1)

{

foreach(array_splice($item['url'],1) as $name=>$value)

{

if(!isset($_GET[$name]) || $_GET[$name]!=$value)

return false;

}

}

return true;

}elseif(isset($item['url']) && is_array($item['url']) && !strcasecmp(trim($item['url'][0],'/'),$route))

{

if(count($item['url'])>1)

{

foreach(array_splice($item['url'],1) as $name=>$value)

{

if(!isset($_GET[$name]) || $_GET[$name]!=$value)

return false;

}

}

return true;

}

return false;

}

Basically, I included one more if logic to check if label===id and switch to active. If anybody has a better idea please share with me. If not I hope this can be usefull for other people too.

cheers,

b

Thanks for sharing. You also also directly configure the ‘active’ property of the menu items to cope with complex conditions.

Thanks for the tip! :)

This is my overridden isItemActive function:

protected function isItemActive($item, $route) {

if (isset($item['id'])) {

if($route === $item['id'])

return true;

return false;

}

return false;

}

It requires that the ‘id’ attribute of the menu entries are set to the route.

For example:

'items' => array(

array('label' => 'Home', 'url' => array('/site/index'), 'id' => 'site/index'),

array('label' => 'Projects', 'url' => array('/projects/'), 'id' => 'project/index'),

array('label' => 'Overview', 'url' => array('/projects/' . $_GET['name']), 'id' => 'project/view'),

array('label' => 'Activity', 'url' => array('/projects/' . $_GET['name'] . '/activity'), 'id' => 'project/activity'),

array('label' => 'Roadmap', 'url' => array('/projects/' . $_GET['name'] . '/roadmap'), 'id' => 'project/roadmap'),

),

I have custom URL rules, btw. Hence the use of $_GET[‘name’] …