CUniqueValidator functionarity

Suppose that a 'user' belongs to a 'forum'. A 'forum' should be unique thus I can code as

public function rules()

{

return array(

(snip)

array('forum', 'unique'),

);

}

in my model class extended from CActiveRecord, and it is working fine.

On the other hand, 'user' may be unique in a certain 'forum' but not unique throughout the table, since a 'user' can belong to any 'forum'.

Then, I would like to code as

public function rules()

{

return array(

(snip)

array('user', 'unique', <some condition here like 'forum = xxx'>),

);

}

,but I found it may not have this functionarity from my investigation of the code in CUniqueValidator class as below.

protected function validateAttribute($object,$attribute)

{

(snip)

if($this->caseSensitive)

$exists=$object->exists("$columnName=:value",array(':value'=>$value));

else

$exists=$object->exists("LOWER($columnName)=LOWER(:value)",array(':value'=>$value));

BTW, I will be able to extend CUniqueValidator for myself, but I think it is better to have this functionarty within CUniqueValidator.

Thanks in advance.

This is probably better written as a method-based validator or a customized validator class. The reason is that the query condition could vary a lot in different applications. Some need static parameters while some dynamic parameters. Writing a method-based validator would be much easier.

Thank you for your prompt answer. I am going to investigate further.

I was able to solve this issue using a method based validator (and not a bulk of code) according to your suggestion. And I would like to share this with others as a solution.

public function rules()

{

return array(

(snip)

array('user', 'uniqueInForum'),

);

}

/**

* Unique validator in a forum                            

*/

public function uniqueInForum() {

$criteria=new CDbCriteria;

$criteria->condition ='`forumcode` ='."'".$this->forumcode."'";

$criteria->condition .=' AND `user` ='."'".$this->user."'";

$userCount=user::model()->count($criteria->condition);

if ($userCount)

$this->addError('user', 'User "'.$this->user.'" has already been taken.');

}