Email Exception Not Caught If Mail Server Down

I am using ext.yii-mail.YiiMail class for sending emails in Yii.

It works fine as long as email/smtp server is up and running. but if its unreachable/down I get a 500 internal server error and exception thrown is never caught.

here are logs from application.log

2013/07/01 18:11:21 [error] [php] <-> fsockopen(): unable to connect to tls://smtp.server.com:465 (Connection timed out) (/protected/extensions/yii-mail/vendors/swiftMailer/classes/Swift/Transport/StreamBuffer.php:233)

Stack trace:

#0 /protected/extensions/yii-mail/vendors/swiftMailer/classes/Swift/Transport/AbstractSmtpTransport.php(101): Swift_Transport_StreamBuffer->initialize()

#1 /protected/extensions/yii-mail/vendors/swiftMailer/classes/Swift/Mailer.php(74): Swift_SmtpTransport->start()

I am using the following code and even though the exception is generated in try block it is never caught and I get a 500 internal server error.

$message->view = 'test';

$message->subject = "Test Email";

$message->setBody(array(), 'text/html');

try

{

Yii::app()->mail->send($message);

}

catch (Exception $exc)

{

Yii::log("email sending failed due to error: " . $exc->getMessage());

}

Update:

I have tried using

catch (\Exception $exc) 

instead of

catch (Exception $exc)

to see if it was a namespace issue but that did’nt help as well.

fsockopen() does not throw an exception it throws a php error.

You can only catch PHP errors when you define you own php error handler: http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.set-error-handler.php

Btw: Yii2 converts php errors to exceptions. For version 1.1 this is not implemented.

Thanks, got the php error thing.

But hey I got it fixed and its working fine now even catching the exception.

Here is the solution, might help someone else. I just muted the error by replacing

Yii::app()->mail->send($message);

with this

@Yii::app()->mail->send($message);

Muting errors should not be done too often and only in specific cases.

You might get problems debugging things that are not working. So be careful using @ for muting errors.