Activerecord With() And A Condition

I am using the with() method of AR to eagerly load related models.

The simple format

works fine: it retrieves all posts and all their comments, even posts that have no comments.

Yet the more complicated format that puts a condition on the related models, does not behave as expected (in my opinion):

'comments'=>array('condition'=>'approved=1'),

))->findAll();

This last statement excludes a post that has either no comments or only unapproved comments.

But that is not what you would expect: you would expect it retrieves all posts + the approved comments.

This happens because Yii puts the condition in the where-clause of the query, instead of the left join part.

A workaround is to write the condition like this:

'comments'=>array('condition'=>'ifnull(approved,1)=1'),

))->findAll();

But that is less efficient, possibly incorrect if the field approved is allowed to be null and less portable (ifnull is not standard across all databases).

The Definitive Guide to Yii > Relational Active Record > Relational Query Options

So use ‘on’ instead of ‘condition’.

check this

'joinType'=>'LEFT OUTER JOIN',

'comments'=>array('condition'=>'approved=1'),

))->findAll();

@Tsunami: thank you! The documentation in The Guide is more complete than in the Class Reference. I often forget to check it.

@KonApaz: well… that is exactly what is wrong with the example in the Class Reference, no? It would be better if there was an ‘on’ and not a ‘condition’ there.