Error Array To String Convertion

Hello everyone,

I’m still a newbie in yii…

model

public function getSubjects($teacher_id){

$list= Yii::app()->db->createCommand('select s.subjectName from teacherteachsub t, subjects s where s.subjectId=t.subjectId and subjectTeacherId="'.$teacher_id.'"')->queryAll();

$rs=array();

foreach($list as $item){

$rs[]=$item['subjectName'];

}

return $rs;

}

This method will provide data to a drop down list in my view, giving all the subject names a teacher teaches

But i need to convert the selected drop down list value teachers selected subject to its respective subject code.

for that i had another function…

public function getSubjectId($subject_name){

$subject_id= Yii::app()->db->createCommand('select subjectId from subjects where subjectName="'.$subject_name.'"')->queryAll();

return $subject_id;

}

I tried to invoke this in the beforeSave() function with the current value of subject as the parameter…

like:-

$this->subject= $this->getSubjectId($this->subject);

I’m getting a error saying can not convert array to string… but im returning only $subject_id which isnt an array… what am i doing wrong??

Thanks a lot for your time!

Cheerz! :)

Actually performing a queryAll() on your command, will return a resultset containings rows of data (in your case, 1 row, with only 1 column. You could use queryScalar, to get only that particalar value.

Otherwise you would have to do something like this:

$result = Yii::app()->db

->createCommand('select subjectId from subjects where subjectName="'.$subject_name.'"')

->queryAll();

$subject_id = $result[0]['subjectId']; //gets the column subjectId from the first row of your dataset (assuming there is always first row)

return $subject_id;

}

OR (basically the same, but better readability, and does some of the error handling for you in case of an empty resultset)

$subject_id = Yii::app()->db

->createCommand('select subjectId from subjects where subjectName="'.$subject_name.'"')

->queryScalar();

return $subject_id;

}

@Denit S. - Thanks a lot… query scalar did work…!

You’re welcome ;)

Also, try to avoid placing variables directly into queries! When these variables are going to contain user input you’re exposing yourself to SQL Injection vulnerabilty. Using binded parameters is A LOT safer, and also really easy in Yii.

Example:

$subject_id = Yii::app()->db

->createCommand('select subjectId from subjects where subjectName = :subject_name')

->queryScalar(array(':subject_name' => $subject_name));

return $subject_id;

}

@Denit S.- i really didnt know that… thanks a lot! cheerz!