Ajax Validation Only On Submit

I have been working on this problem for the last 2 days and I finally figured it out. I needed AJAX validation only when submitting a form and client side validation on each field change. From what I was able to figure out this combination is not supported by the CActiveForm object.

I wanted to share my solution since searching for this turned up nothing.

My CActiveForm config:

$form=$this->beginWidget ('CActiveForm', array (

'id' => 'myform',

// 'enableAjaxValidation' => true, // Disabled to prevent ajax calls for every field update

'enableClientValidation' => true,

'clientOptions' => array(

'validateOnSubmit' => true,

'validateOnChange' => true, // allow client validation for every field

) 

));

My ajaxSubmitButton config:

CHtml::ajaxSubmitButton ('Save', Yii::app()->request->url, array (

'dataType' => 'json', // If this option is not set, the returned data is a string not a JSON object

'success' =>

'js:function (data) {

if (data) {

form=$(\'#myform\');

settings=form.data(\'settings\');

$.each (settings.attributes, function (i) {

$.fn.yiiactiveform.updateInput (settings.attributes[i], data, form);

});

} else {

alert (\'success\');

}

}',

), array (

'id' => 'myform_submit_'.rand(1,255), // Need a unique id or they start to conflict with more than one load.

));

I hope this helps someone out trying to figured out the same problem.

One thing to note, the $_POST[‘ajax’] var is not set by this method so you have to use the Yii::app()->request->isAjaxRequest to find out if this is a regular page load or a ajax request.

[color="#008000"]NOTE: moved to proper section (Tips, Snippets and Tutorials instead of General Discussion for Yii 1.1.x)[/color]

Nice tip ;)

Magister, welcome to the yii forum

cool … thanks

very nice tip. really needed to know how to validate form in JS with yii tools. Just a little remark. if(data) always returns true, so I use

if(!$.isEmptyObject(data))

I ended up with a very similar code. Just to contribute, I will add some more related tips:

• You could add

$.fn.yiiactiveform.updateSummary(form, data);

after the loop where the updateInput calls are issued.

• I also used

if(!$.isEmptyObject(data))

as phreak suggests.

• In the controller you want to return: a) an empty object when the save action was successfull; b) the validation errors in the proper format otherwise. Here is my controller’s snippet:

$result = CActiveForm::validate($model);

if ($result == '[]') $this->saveModel($model);

echo $result;

Yii::app()->end();

Hope it helps. Cheers!