Forum karma

Someone keeps lowering my karma, I don’t even know the user who does that, not talking about the purpose.

In open source communities negative opinion is so destructive, that I’d recommend turning this feature completely off.

Don't know about turning it off.  Being able to see who gave you negative karma and/or for for the giver to state 'why' would be a good thing.  I wouldn't have any problems for people see my karma giving list.

This forum software doesn’t support exposing karma-givers, nor reasons to give.

Negative karma does demoralize.

Interesting, may be we can add a view to list the karam givers and takers.

That would solve the problem half. Negative karma still demoralizes everybody. It makes no sense to me.

If you want to have a karma feature at all, you need to accept that there might be people who also give you bad karma. I mean, isn't this the idea of a karma system? A required statement that explains why they decided to give bad karma might be interesting and might help to prevent misuse. But on the other hand a publicly visible list of karma givers coud also scare people to give bad karma at all… And a goog-karma-only feature… Hm… Maybe…

Personally, I don't feel the need for a karma feature. I prefer to form my own opinion depending on the posts I read. Generally, I don't need others to show me if s.o. is likable and helpful or not. So I would simply switch it off…

Exactly. In any serious community, there is no room for points.

There is however a feature in smf to show only the sum of positive and negative karma.

The only problem I see is not the karma feature, the people in the world are. Not receving a good karma when you should is sad!

It’s not that bad, because most people don’t help only because of hope of more karma.

Receiving negative karma when you shouldn’t is way more harmful.

It's not that bad, because most people don't help only because of hope of more karma.

Receiving negative karma when you shouldn't is way more harmful.

That is reasonable, I think we may change to use total karma. May be something like "was this post helpful? [yes|no]" would be better

I’d suggest to use [This was helpful. | This was harmful.] instead as it often takes several comments (q&a) to dig down enough to understand a problem. Not all non-helpful posts deserve karma deduction.

As of IPB 3, this question is no longer relevant.

Though I’d be happy if there was some form of encouragement to provide feedback using +/- in bottom right corners.