New design of Yii

Thank you all for proposing so many wonderful designs for Yii! It has been a fun watching how Yii could look differently in different people's eyes.

Finally, we have to make a decision and choose one of the designs to be applied to this site. We are reluctant to give up the others, but we have to. We hope our site can take the new look before the highly anticipated version 1.1 is released.

We will keep this board open. You are welcome to post your new design and let others know how you perceive Yii.

And here is the finalist, Fred Wu, who proposed the following logo and design:

Concept 3

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please let us know if you have any suggestions or advices on this design.

Thank you very much!

Good work!

I am not opposing your decision.

But my impression for yii WAS sky blue. One reason for it is from the skeleton application. We'd better change the css of it then.

I like it.

It looks like Mature and Serious.  ;)

Yes, we will change all relevant styles, including those in demos and skeletons, so that they have the same color scheme. This will only be done in 1.1 so we can keep 1.0 backward compatible as much as possible.

I think there are better logos than this. This is… weird.

Yes, we will change all relevant styles, including those in demos and skeletons, so that they have the same color scheme. This will only be done in 1.1 so we can keep 1.0 backward compatible as much as possible.

I see, thanks Qiang.

I love the logo and the colors!

Honestly, not big on the big green box at the top of the page. To me it overwhelms the other colors. I think the Green Box and Grey Box should be switched, personally.

Other than that, I love it!

Me love it!

This logo looks like a mouse or… a smile or it means that Yii is more easy than extensible and efficient (1/2 of black + 1/2 green & orange)? I didn’t get it :P But Fred’s design is better than the current one, good job :)

P.S. This site design (not logo) looks more serious and stylish to me: http://www.yiiframew…,3016.msg0.html (just imho ;))

Logo is really nice I love it.

and I like the Yii in blue sky theme too

Good work, Fred Wu!

to andy_s

+1

Please don't do that. Coloured backgrounds are hard to deal with. Skeleton's current theme with its white and clean background is easier to customize.

Great idea to change site design with 1.1 release, we always need to rethink ourselves! But I agree with others here; this is a great design (great job for the designer) but it is very far from the original idea of Yii and its colors. I guess we'll get used to it and in a couple of weeks we'll love it!

Keep up the great work!

Good work!

Looks somewhat like our python-Brothers http://www.djangoproject.com/:)

I find it easier to get used to the design than to the logo… but I's fine for me…

hi,

I’m a big fan of blue, but this looks very mature and grown up :)

good job guys,

–iM

Very professional-looking, I respect the author! Though takes some time to get used to for Yii-lovers. ;)

Although, I don’t get the idea of the logo like others. What is this… shape… supposed to mean? I think more spirit should be communicated through it.

The followings are Fred's interpretation of the new logo. I think an additional interpretation is that the new logo implies components and extensibility, which is the spirit of Yii.

• The design philosophy is simple and elegance. The logo is a simplified and enhanced version of the original Yin Yang / Mouse shape. The mouse shape in the new logo is made intangible intentionally so that people won't be mistaken the project with computer hardware companies.

• The hidden 'Y' is a feature of the logo.

• Two vivid colours (orange and light green) are used to represent creativeness and energy, along with a dark grey to represent stability.

• A regular Myriad Pro typeface is used for the logo, with rounded edges to enhance the connection with the graphic.