I found myself writing a number of forms that needed a basic dropDownList populated with data from a table. Just a simple array of id=>name. So, I created a member function of CActiveRecord that takes in two attribute names and returns an array of pairs of those attribute names for every record in the table.

I’m not a seasoned / experience developer, so I’d love to get some feedback on this implementation. Here are my questions (code below):

1. Best practices: Should this be a static function? It seems like it should to me, but within Yii it there is the static model instatiation (ClassName::model()) so I’m not sure if this is necessary. However, there may be a memory/performance-related requirement for this.

2. Is a CdB Exception the proper one to throw?

3. Any other tips you can see from my code?

Thanks!

public function getAttributePairs($attribute1, $attribute2)

{

$returnArray = array();

$modelArray = array();

$modelAttributes = array_keys($this->getAttributes());

// Ensure attributes are in class:

if(in_array($attribute1,$modelAttributes) && in_array($attribute2, $modelAttributes))

{

$modelArray = $this->findAll();

foreach($modelArray as $model)

{

$returnArray[$model->getAttribute($attribute1)] = $model->getAttribute($attribute2);

}

}

else

throw new CDbException(Yii::t('yii','{class} does not have attribute "{name1}" or "{name2}".',

array('{class}'=>get_class($this), '{name1}'=>$attribute1,'{name2}'=>$attribute2)));

return $returnArray;

}

By the way, this is how it is used:

<div class="row">

<?php echo $form->labelEx($model,'country_id'); ?>

<?php echo $form->dropDownList($model,'country_id',Country::model()->getAttributePairs('id','name')); ?>

<?php echo $form->error($model,'country_id'); ?>

</div>

Hi,

There is already a function for this scenario: http://www.yiiframework.com/doc/api/1.1/CHtml#listData-detail

Used like this:

<div class="row">

<?php echo $form->labelEx($model, 'category_id'); ?>

<?php echo $form->dropDownList($model, 'category_id', CHtml::listData(Category::model()->findAll(), 'id', 'name')); ?>

<?php echo $form->error($model, 'category_id'); ?>

</div>

Cheers,

Matt

Hah! Thanks! Oh, well, it was fun to try and extend CActiveRecord anyway.

Yeah, you had the right idea though: static function that returns an associative array.