Copywriting for the new site

As shown in this post, we plan to use the following copywritings in our upcoming newsite. The goal of these copywriting is to characterize yii in short words and be able to leave impression to new visitors in short time. We really appreciate if you could help us improve these copywriting. Thank you very much!

Block 1

The agile PHP framework for your Web development

Yii is a high-performance PHP framework best for developing large-scale Web applications.

Yii provides a rich set of features, such as MVC, ActiveRecord, I18N/L10N, caching, authentication and role-based access control, scaffolding, theming, etc., that can cut down your development time significantly.

Block 2

A simple way to build fast, secure and professional Web applications.

1. Design and create the database;

2. Auto-generate the corresponding PHP code using Yii;

3. Tune up the generated code to fit for the actual requirements.

Block 3

Fast

Enabled by its on-demand loading technique and powerful caching support, Yii applications can be made extremely fast and can respond quickly to AJAX requests commonly seen in Web 2.0 applications.

Secure

Building secure Web applications has never been easier with Yii, thanks to its readily available security measures, such as input validation, output filtering, SQL injection and CSRF prevention, etc.

Professional

Written in strict OOP and following the MVC pattern, Yii helps you to develop Web applications in a professional way that has maximum code reusability and extensibility, and clear separation of logic and presentation,

Design looks brilliant. Text reads good overall. I made a few minor edits in <>'s. Feel free to use them as you see fit. Peace

Block 1

The agile PHP framework for your Web development

Yii is a high-performance PHP framework best for developing large-scale Web applications.

Yii provides a rich set of features, such as MVC, ActiveRecord, I18N/L10N, caching, authentication and role-based access control, scaffolding, < and theming >, that can < reduce > your development time significantly.

Block 2

A simple way to build fast, secure and professional Web applications.

1. Design and create the database;

2. Auto-generate the corresponding PHP code using Yii;

3. Tune up the generated code to fit < your specific > requirements.

Block 3

Fast

Enabled by its on-demand loading technique and powerful caching support, Yii applications can be made extremely fast and can respond quickly to AJAX requests commonly seen in Web 2.0 applications.

Secure

Building secure Web applications has never been easier with Yii, thanks to its readily available security measures, such as input validation, output filtering, SQL injection < / > CSRF prevention, etc.

Professional

Written in strict OOP and following the MVC pattern, Yii helps you to develop Web applications in a professional way that < emphasizes > maximum code reusability and extensibility, < while maintaining > clear separation of logic and presentation.

All three BLOCKS contain SAME information.

There are two slogans:

1. Fast, Secure, Professional

2. The agile PHP framework for your Web development (BTW: "The agile PHP framework" is enough)

Blocks #1 & #3 includes descriptions to slogan #1

Block #2 has description to slogan #2

Too many slogans. Too much information about SAME things.

homepage-02.png

All intro could be placed in one block. There is a good place to slogan and maximum three main futures of YII + possibility to see another futures by clicking button "more futures", where user can read more about yii (why yii, futures of yii…).

Not so important that YII contains, but it is important what people in framework want to see.

Few good examples (from yii site):

Yii is extremely fast;

Yii is easy to learn and use;

Yii comes with a rich set of features…

["see more futures" button]

Slogan could be optimised for SEO. I gues "Best for Web 2.0 Development" is good for SEO (if your search for "best php framework")

I would keep EEE (YII) instead of FSP (Fast Secure Professional) as main copywrite. You can add the Fast Secure Professional things elsewhere.

Right. I agree. EEE - as slogan and as 3 arguments why YII is a good choice.

Here’s my take:

I’ve simplified some of the language to make it (hopefully) more punchy. I also think we need to include something about ongoing development - that’s the biggest differentiator with CI. It’s ten months since the last release of CI.

I think we can use the fact that Yii’s unit-test code coverage is pretty good and improving. Right now it’s about 65%. That will bring more professional developer attention.

@charris66: thank you for your fixes!

@webzio, ekerazha: the reason that I replaced EEE with FSP is because the homepage is meant to attract new users. They usually pay more attention to what he can achieve with a framework than the goodness of the framework itself. I think there is no doubt that most users will seek for speed and security as two of their main goals. The word "professional" is a bit more obscure. It is essentially a way of describing the quality of a project.

@Alex Muir: thank you for your revisions. I like your changes in block 2 and 3. The current design is a bit too wordy. I think your changes make it cleaner and easier to be captured by new users.

@samdark: test coverage, like EEE, describes how good a framework is. I think we should put it in the feature list.

No problem qiang. I also think Alex Muir’s changes make it cleaner. Could you setup a google doc for this? My google id is charris66.

Noone mentioned another good point of yii: standardization.

Yii force programmer to hold a standard file-system, standard programming style and lot of conde is standardly generated by Gii.

That allows a easy (or at least not so painfull) change of developer for an application.

I read a lot of nice point for developers, because they are the main visitor of yii framework, but don’t forget about project manager!!!

Many time I had to redo a "php project" developed in "some way" from a not professional programmer (or coder). If the programmer is leaving the company the project is dead, and the company needs to restart from scratch.

With Yii that will not happens: if project manager understand this point they will force theyr programmer to use Yii.

Let’s say to project manager somethig like: A yii project will be the last one! You can find 1000 people ready to continue your project!!

That’s not true. Yii does not force anything. But yes, it’s easier to continue a project based on a framework.

I think this is common sense and why you would look for a framework in the first place. It really doesn’t have to be highlighted in any way but if a newcomer to web development would find Yii it could be sensible to have that information somewhere.

A bit late to the party…

I like the 3rd block (FSP), the improved version of Alex Muir.

By the way, when the launch of the new website?

We are busy developing the new site (a complete rewrite). We hope we can deploy the new site by the end of this month.

Ah perfect! Is there a beta testing phase? I’d like a sneak peek!!! ::)

haha, qiang, so pleased to hear that, new face new win!