Symfony 2 faster then Yii!!!

Hey guys,

on http://symfony-reloaded.org/fast i found a statistic about the new symfony 2.

It should be 75% faster than YII 1.1.1 !!!

For the "Product" application, Symfony2 is about:

* 50% faster than Yii 1.1.1

* 2 times faster than Solar 1.0.0beta3

* 2.5 times faster than symfony 1.4.2

* 3 times faster than Zend 1.10

* 4 times faster than Lithium 0.6

* 6 times faster than CakePHP 1.2.6

* 60 times faster than Flow3 1.0.0alpha7

what do you think about it?

I think I’ll continue using Yii.

me too ;)

I use used symfony 1.1 as my second framework but it was aweful! Well I hope yii gets a bigger community and gets famous like symfony and the other frameworks

There is already a thread about this topic.

But besides any speed difference, I will for sure try Symfony 2. It seems much more “enterprise” than Yii or any other framework, but on the other hand it does less magic and needs more configuration. Though I choosed Yii as my first framework because everything is so easy, I’m very interested in more advanced stuff. For those enterprise application types like eg banking websites or big community sites, I have the feeling Yii is no real choice.

Also qiang mentioned Yii 2 somewhere in this forum already. My guess is, we will see Symfony 2 on the “more professional” side and Yii 2 on the other in some years. But still I think today, judging from other framework documentations, Yii is already one of the best web-frameworks for either beginners or advanced users. By the way Yii made it to #1 here ;)

What are your thoughts about the future of Yii or php frameworks in general?

But what about development efficiency? Does Symfony do more "magic" than Yii?

My experience with symfony was very aweful, because it was too big and too complex.

For now I don’t see any benefits in development.

I wonder if yii include in this benchmark ?

php-framework-comparison-benchmarks - independent benchmark

is anybody already have done it?

look at the big gap performance between Baseline PHP and with other framework.

As far as I can see, Symfony 2 is using Doctrine for DB.

Don´t get me wrong, I like Doctrine and use it very often,

but it is HUGE. Many, many classes and it reduces the performance

a lot.

So if u have a prject with db, I would definitly prefere Yii with

its own db connecter.

But this is just my opinion.

P.S. I would like to see a "real project" benchmark with db, logging, extensions, acl

and so on. A community system would be a perfect example.

I programmed one with Zend, ist was awfull :-(.

I’m not sure if you notice buddy, but you just replied to a 6-month old thread. :)

We have now 1.1.6, does the statistic remain the same? any improvements?

And yes I’m interested too with a “REAL PROJECT” benchmark. But I have a feeling that I’m too attached to Yii that it’s gonna have my vote no matter what. :D

What is the framework?

It is the set of interrelated objects.

A Framework just enable the process of development fast. it will make you to not write routine code.

Yii seems to be bit easy to use. I have some experience with frameworks but I really find Yii best.

The choice of Framework depends on project requirements.

Either you use, most of the working will be done by you.

I know, but I just needed to say what I believe ;-).

I love yii, but i am looking for a framework with more "best practices" and "design patterns".

Then Symfony 2 is a good candidate.

That is not very optimistic that Yii team recommend Symfony 2 as a framework with “best practices” and “design patterns”… maybe you should also go this direction? if you let people to participate in developing parts of Yii and include their code wisely :) I am pretty sure Yii can be also “enterprise” framework with “best practices and design patterns”.

Either you love Yii, or not :D Symfony is good, but Yii is better. Did you expect this answer? :) For me it is the truth. Yesterday I’ve included Symfony’s YAML parser in my project and it works just fine, because Symfony is so nice “reusable set of standalone, decoupled, and cohesive PHP components that solve common web development problems” ;)

Symfony2 if you want to stick with PHP and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Framework (java) as a “very enterprise framework” :)

As for Symfony2 is faster then Yii, then from my experience of using them both, I would say that it’s a very moot point. All this synthetic tests are rather PR than the research. I agree that sf2 can be faster then yii under some circumstances, but this “50% faster than Yii” is worth nothing, it only means that on this certain synthetic test sf2 is faster. Let’s make performance testing with doctrine and some other common bundles/features of sf2 and then compare it to the same yii application ;)

Both frameworks are great but for most of my projects (not all) I still prefer Yii because it’s simple, feature rich and development process is really fast with yii. And for long-term and big projects with several developers involved I think sf2 is better suited

Exactly: development process is fastest in yii!

I meant that Symfony2 is the one full of “best practices” and “design patterns” (personally I think it’s a bit overdesigned). Yii have these too but we’re not marketing Yii like “enterprise” type of framework.

Hi,

About the benchmark that symfony2 people did we have this review:

h t t p:// paul-m-jones.com /archives /1222

I really tried to like Symfony, but I was put off already on the first page of its guide…

It just feels too elaborate, or clunky.

It’s great that there’s choice, though.

I am not married to Yii, but haven’t really had any need to look elsewhere.

Came from CakePHP because it was slower and Yii was faster.

The only other option I’d consider looking into would be FuelPHP - or is it just Fuel now? - it’s leaner than Yii.

The thing which are holding me back is that it seems to be too tied to the Unix platform. (Lack of command line support for Win32).