After a lot of research, everything I found on adding date range searching to a CGridView advanced search form seemed to involve adding two new public variables (e.g. $date_from, $date_to), 'safe' rules for the new variables, and a rather chunky if/elseif/else check in the search() method. This probably isn't a hassle for most, but because many of the tables in my database contain two or three and sometimes four date columns (e.g. date_created, date_modified, date_deleted etc.), it meant I was having to add up to eight public variables, the corresponding safe rules, and modifying the search() criteria for each date attribute. So, I set about creating a better way and I thought I'd share my work with the community.
In an application I had a CGridView with a CButtonColumn and for an Ajax-Request I needed to make sure that the IDs of the buttons would not change when the GridView was updated so in effect I wanted to link them to the $data->id.
So I tried:
The CGridView widget is very useful and customizable, but sometimes you need a little more.
One limit I found is to have only one row for headers; yes, you can write each column header in more than one row, but just inside the single cell.
I was looking instead for the possibility to use more than one row, with different structure one from the others.
This way you can write columns grouping headers, and obtain a nicer view.
Generally we need to show one or more fields from a model that is related to another model used in CGridView.
For our case we will use two related models, which explain how to use model "A" fields in a CGridView that used model "B".