ActiveForm checkboxList serialize checkbox array before save

Although I find this question addressed within the forum prior, having read the documentation and threads on the topic, after 1.5 days of trying I fail to solve the above following error on form submit ( of controller type actionUpdate ):

"Product Interest must be a string."

[where ‘Product Interest’ is a form checkboxList name=‘productInterest’ within my model ‘TblProspects’]

[ RESULT: Browser NOT redirected to the view.php, because $model->save() == FALSE ].

PERTINENT MODEL VALIDATION RULES IN frontend/models/TblProspects.php:

…[…‘productInterest’], ‘safe’],

… [[‘productInterest’], ‘string’, ‘max’ => 300],

beforeSave and afterFind methods in same model:

public function beforeSave($insert){

//Our Array Model of the Database and Form Values for productInterest.

// The structure for our checkboxlist options

$list = [0=>'Ground Signs',1=>'Window Lettering',2=>'Channel Letter Signs',3=>'Wall Signs',4=>'Vehicle Lettering or Graphics',5=>'Banners',6=>'Digital Signs',7=>'Neon',8=>'Other'];        	

$post = \Yii::$app->request->post('TblProspects');

// POSTED runtime/log/file: array "TblProspects".... =>"productInterest";a:3:{i:0;s:1:"2";i:1;s:1:"4";i:2;s:1:"5";}

// where selected checkbox values are options 2, 4, 5.			

if(is_array($post['productInterest'])) {

$checkedProducts = $post['productInterest'];

$newArray = array();

foreach($checkedProducts as $k=>$v){

array_push($newArray,$list[$v]); checkedProducts[0] = Vinyl Banner Signs				

}

$serialized = serialize($newArray);

//! suspect the problem lies in the assignment to the post value;

$post['TblProspects']['productInterest'] = $serialized;

// Try also to assign it to the model's field in memory

$this->productInterest = $serialed;

$this->load($post);

//When empty arguments, was getting error first parameter missing, so add $insert:

parent::beforeSave($insert);

} 

}//beforeSave

public function afterFind()

{

// convert serialized db fields into arrays

$this->productInterest = unserialize($this->productInterest);

return parent::afterFind();

}//afterFind

And in my view’s update.php I echo the _updateform.php that contains the field for Product Interest as:

use yii\helpers\Html;

use yii\widgets\ActiveForm;

$list = [0=>'Ground Signs',1=>'Window Lettering',2=>'Channel Letter Signs',3=>'Wall Signs',4=>'Vehicle Lettering or Graphics',5=>'Banners',6=>'Digital Signs',7=>'Neon',8=>'Other'];

$checkedList = [];

if(!$model->isNewRecord) {

if( is_array( $model->productInterest) && count( $model->productInterest ) > 0 ){

foreach( $model->productInterest as $k=>$v ){

// save the index key value where the val is found in the checkbox names array.  These are the values

// of the checkboxes that should be checked in the loaded form

// array_search returns false, but may return other boolean (such as 0, which would equate to an arr index value)

if( array_search($v, $list) !== FALSE ){

array_push($checkedList, array_search($v, $list));

$model->productInterest = $checkedList;

}

}

}

}

// var_dump($model->productInterest);

// outputs (example): array(3) { [0]=> string(1) "2" [1]=> string(1) "4" [2]=> string(1) "5" }

echo $form->field($model, 'productInterest')            

->checkboxList( $list,

[

'class'=>'chosen-select input-md',

'multiple'=>'multiple'              

]             

)->label();

Why is the attribute that I am trying to save violating the RULE of string, when I am serializing it using beforeSave?

Finally I was able to achieve success by using beforeValidate() instead of beforeSave(), as, it appears, the validation occurs before beforeSave (during the POSTing of the form data), and thus I was encountering the validation rule error that my POST[array] !== string.

SOLVED.