Want to maintain login session and prevent multiple login in multiple web application Server environment

Hi Friends,

We are having six web application Servers which is taking caring of load and availability. I am storing session login time in Database table to maintain session timeout and to prevent multiple login by same user. Due to this, if 1000 active users are there, every two minutes 1000 db hits will be there to check the session timeout. Our application is huge and has more load for the database and I don’t want to overload the db by this activity.

Few suggested that we can maintain in server side. If that particular server went down all the active users session will be gone and all must login again.

I don’t want to maintain the session in browser cookies due to security. Is there any other way to do this in client itself without security threat.

Can you suggest any other way which is secure and address the above issue in multiple server environment.

Regards

Siva

Not sure which security issue cookie poses since if you’re not using cookie for session ID it’s more insecure, not less…

Hi Friend,

Our application security team advised us, If we maintain login session in browser cookies, its prone for hackers to hack.

Most of the Yii framework users has vast knowledge and experience. So many of them might be faced such an issues.

I am a fresher, I never faced this issue earlier. Kindly suggest me some solution for it.

Regards

Siva

I think you’re either confusing session cookies with “remember me” cookies or haven’t got what your security team tried to explain.

Session cookies are valid for the duration of the session only. By default HTTPOnly flag is set so they could not be stolen via JavaScript. If stolen, these are becoming invalid fast.

“Remember me” cookies are valid for much longer and indeed, if stolen, that’s very bad.

In order to steal either session cookie or “remember me” cookie you need to perform man-in-the-middle attack which is not trivial in case you’re using HTTPS.

If you’ll turn off cookies for sessions, PHP will use GET-parameter which is, compared to cookie, is totally insecure. Could be easily hijacked with JavaScript.