event does not trigger and I dont know how to debug it

I am trying to solve "do B action when A happens". I try 2 approaches: 1 with event handler and 1 with after save. The event handler does not work as is the call back function does not run while the After Save works fine.

// this works

class Book extends \yii\db\ActiveRecord

{

public function afterSave($insert, $changedAttributes) {

parent::afterSave($insert, $changedAttributes);

$miscAlertMailer = new \common\components\MiscAlertMailer();

$miscAlertMailer->execute($this);

}

}

//another way to do. it should do the same thing as the above , but it does not. The execute() never call because I put in a die() in

// it. So after update a book, the program should die, but it doesnt. 

{

public function init()

{

parent::init();

$this->on(\yii\db\ActiveRecord::EVENT_AFTER_INSERT, [$miscAlertMailer, 'execute', $this]);

$this->on(\yii\db\ActiveRecord::EVENT_AFTER_UPDATE, [$miscAlertMailer, 'execute', $this]);

}

}

Appreciate any helps

I figure it out

{

public function init()

{

parent::init();

$this->on(\yii\db\ActiveRecord::EVENT_AFTER_INSERT, [$miscAlertMailer, 'execute']);

$this->on(\yii\db\ActiveRecord::EVENT_AFTER_UPDATE, [$miscAlertMailer, 'execute']);

}

}

I passed too many parameter

//wrong

$this->on(\yii\db\ActiveRecord::EVENT_AFTER_INSERT, [$miscAlertMailer, 'execute', $this]);

//correct

$this->on(\yii\db\ActiveRecord::EVENT_AFTER_INSERT, [$miscAlertMailer, 'execute']);

Now the call back is called, but how do I access the instance of the book in the callback ?

That would be $event->sender.

Note the signature of an event handler.

Thanks,

I find out another way

//correct

$this->on(\yii\db\ActiveRecord::EVENT_AFTER_INSERT, [$miscAlertMailer, 'execute'], $extraData);

more details @ http://www.yiiframework.com/doc-2.0/yii-base-component.html#on()-detail