• saves a new token AR model

• updates the user AR model

• sends an email

[/list]

<?php

namespace app\controllers;

class SiteController extends \yii\web\Controller

{

public function actionPasswordResetRequest()

{

$form = new \app\models\forms\PasswordResetRequestForm();

if ($form->load(\Yii::$app->request->post()) && $form->validate()) {

$user = \app\models\User::findByEmail($form->email);

$user->last_reset_request = new \yii\db\Expression('UTC_TIMESTAMP()');

$token = new \app\models\AuthToken($form);

$transaction = \Yii::$app->db->beginTransaction();

try {

if (!$token->save(false)) {

throw new \Exception('Failed to save token model');

}

if (!$user->save(false)) {

throw new \Exception('Failed to save user model');

}

\app\helpers\MailHelper::passwordResetRequest($token);

$transaction->commit();

} catch (\Exception $e) {

$transaction->rollBack();

throw $e;

}

}

return $this->render('password_reset_request', [

'model' => $form,

]);

}

}

All three tasks in the transaction use external services (DB and MTA) that can fail and if any does, we rollback.

But I have a problem with the two instances of this boilerplate

if (!$model->save(false)) {

throw new \Exception('...');

}

Let’s say I know that neither model has a beforeSave that can return false, so I know these conditions will never be true and the branches are dead code that I can’t test.

But if I remove those branches, I am violating the separation of responsibilities between classes by disregarding the API spec.

public boolean save ( $runValidation = true, $attributeNames = null )

My controller design must not rely on knowing if a model’s beforeSave can return false. Nor should it rely on the model or the framework not changing. Hence I need the discipline to respect the API spec and test the return, even though I know it’s BS.

I don’t need such a test to send the email because that method has void return and if something goes wrong, it will throw an exception. I designed it like that.

I think this points to a flaw in ActiveRecord’s API design. If an AR model has no validation or I do not need to run it, I need a method that will either succeed or throw an exception.

I could extend AR with things like

public function reallySave()

{

if (!$this->beforeSave(true)) {

throw new BeforeSaveFailedException(get_class($this) . '::beforeSave() returned false');

}

$this->save(false);

}

but I expect it’s more complex than that and I would prefer if the framework gave me this.

It’s normal to validate with yii\base\Model and then save AR models without validation. So I think the framework should give AR methods that:

• save/insert/update without validating

• have void return

• throw an exception if, for whatever reason, the save doesn’t happen.

What are your practices and opinions with saving AR models after input validation already passed?

Some well-known people told me that they do not test return value of [font="Courier New"]$model->save(false)[/font] unless they know that its beforeSave can return false.

It reminds me of a conversation from last year about [font="Courier New"]openssl_random_pseudo_bytes()[/font]. I asked

[indent]Can the function return a string and set [font="Courier New"]$crypto_strong[/font] false?[/indent]

samdark replied

[indent]Nope based on current code. But you never know what would be implemented in the future so it’s better to rely on method intended signature and check for it.[/indent]

It’s the same situation with [font=“Courier New”]$model->save(false)[/font]. The API spec basically says that Yii reserves the right to return false in a future version. And you may yourself add a behavior to the model causing beforeSave to return false.

You can have a separate class that accepts models, saves them, checks return values and throws an exception if it failed.

Overall, when we’ve designed Yii, we’ve relied on return values to indicate saving failure. Since there could be multiple reasons of failure, I agree that it may be a better idea to throw different exceptions in this case.