yii2 basic framework and migration suggestion

Learning yii2 (and php) now. the template creators and jeff reifman’s tutorial are very good. kudos.

Suggestion:

# ./yii migrate

should create the migrations folder if it does not exist, or the basic template should have a migrations folder. the error

Error: Migration failed. Directory specified in migrationPath doesn't exist: @app/migrations

is a good hint, but at this point, a novice is so on info overload that she drops out of hyperspace. in an case, either of these two solutions removes an unnecessary distraction at zero cost.

I am not the first to note this as an issue—I found related posts from yii 1 and years ago, but I thought I would point it out again.

another observation from a novice. the existing template file consists of vendor/ files (that I know I should never touch) and the rest of the files (that I presumably can touch). the separation is not complete or clear, though. presumably, I should not touch files like web/assets/bd6eea24?! in general, I would splatter a few more "my.*" files into the basic template as "hooks", where I as an enduser of yii2 know immediately that I should be welcome and expected to add or modify code. In other words, please make it more obvious what aspects I should touch and what aspects I should stay away from (which also means that the template updates may overwrite).

regards,

/iaw

Basic template doesn’t have migrations directory because sometimes you don’t need database at all. For example, http://intl.rmcreative.ru/.

Creating directory automatically is already there if you’re issuing “./yii migrate/create xxx” command. If not, it gives you descriptive message mentioning directory it can’t find.

Templates are never updated in real projects. You install it and then it’s all yours.