Failed to get i18n working.... please help

Hello,

I’m trying for 2 days to get i18n working, read all posts, guides and api docs, and still the most simple case doesn’t work. I did this:

set the language and sourceLanguage in controller and main.php to ‘nl’ Created a general.php under protected/messages/nl with this content:

return array(

'Aanmelden'=>'Aanmelden',

);

And used this in the login.php (from the generated skeleton app)

<h1><?php Yii::t(“general”, ‘Aanmelden’); ?></h1>

And still no label is displayed…

Please help, what’s missing? :frowning:

Same problem here…

It just doesnt work.

Yii::t() only returns its result, so you need to echo it yourself:

<h1><?php echo Yii::t("general", 'Aanmelden'); ?></h1>

Or was that just a trivial copying error?

Ouch…! That as a stupid one… Now my PHP-stupidity is exposed :wink:

thanx!

I’m having

<?php echo Yii::t('newsModule.articles', 'news'); ?>

Inside my view file and it does absolutely nothing than printing ‘news’ to the screen. Even when i have set the app()->sourcelanguage to ‘en’ and the app()->language to ‘nl’. The language file is stored in: “/modules/news/messages/nl/articles.php”.

I can call the module… it displays news… but the translation doesnt work. (i’m sorry i do post this inside this topic because i’m having exact the same problem.

The "/modules/news/messages/en/articles.php" file:

<?php

return array(

'news' => 'news (english)'

);

The "/modules/news/messages/nl/articles.php" file:

<?php

return array(

'news' => 'nieuws'

);

It prints "news"… so it doesnt translate, otherwise, if i misconfigured something it should print "news (english)".

----------------------

I figured out my self. I had to put the Messages folder inside the /modules/news map. not in a application map, now it’s working

Ciao

Hi Nique,

The key must be a translated message! That’s the cool thing in Yii, you don’t have to write message resources if your targetLangue and source language are the same.

Your articles.php should contain:

<?php

return array(

'nieuws' =&gt; 'nieuws'

);

?>

But you even don’t need a dutch message bundle, if you set sourceLanguage and language to ‘nl’ in the main.php config (like I do).

Regards

Hmm, that’s a more tricky one, Nique. I’m not really sure how to do that in a module, If I try your way (which is also in the guide, I noticed) and call yiic message, the translation files are placed in the protected/messages directory instead of protected/modules/yourmodule/messages. That may be your workaround for now (just edit the files in that directory, Yii will probably pick them up), but I too like to know how to actually put the generated message files in the correct module directory…

It works for now.

i placed the messages inside /modules/news/messages/nl/articles.php

I know what you mean mlindhout, but i want to keep the source language of my application English. So i create a dutch translation set. I want to keep all options open (for the future). If developpers from other countries are going to edit the source files, they dont need to translate the word: aanmelden and find out what it means in english. English is the worlds main langauge. Thats why i want the sourcelanguage to be english :P

Anyway thanks.

I have a tricky folder setup.

/app/frontend/… contains all ‘frontend’ stuff (controllers, views etc)

/app/backend/… contains all ‘backend’ stuff (controllers, views etc)

/app/shared/… contains all ‘shared’ stuff. (models, shared configs) i want to put the messages in here but that wont work)

/app/modules/… contains all the modules

/app/modules/news/… looks like:

/app/modules/news/frontend/…

/app/modules/news/backend/…

/app/modules/news/shared/…

/app/modules/news/modules/…

/app/modules/news/messages… (i want this inside the shared folder… but okay)

/app/modules/news/newsModule.php (the module class)

(later i want to add installation files etc)