yii2 rbac DbManager can ForbiddenHttpException

Hi!

I’m beginner and I’m using rbac + DbManager.

if (\Yii::$app->user->can('createPost')) {

// create post

}

if the user doesn’t have permission, shouldn’t this “can” function automatically throw a ForbiddenHttpException or something like that? Or am I using this function wrong? Or do I have to manually put this:

else {

throw new ForbiddenHttpException(Yii::t('yii', 'You are not allowed to perform this action.'));

}

into all actions of all controllers?

Interesting, that if I’m right by ACF this functionality is already included.

Thanks and BR,

c

To throw automatically a forbidden or similar you can use the behaviors section (which allow callbacks to check if allowed or not, or, if using rbac you can put the required permissions in [ ] directly).

For other cases this code worked in yii 1, dont know if work work anymore:

throw new CHttpException(404,'The specified post cannot be found.'); // as example from stackoverflow 

As I see, we have to define always an else statement, where we throw a new e.g. ForbiddenHttpException. But I think, it should be already included somehow in this "user->can()" function, or am I wrong?

I don’t think so. Yii\web\User::can() can be used for several different purposes e.g.for displaying view parts like menu items or form fields conditionally depending on user’s permissions.

Also , most developers probably don’t call this method directly in their controller actions but delegate the job to yii\filters\AccessControl or a custom filter class.

Yeah, can be that I’m wrong, but for me, it seems the simplest to include this can() functionality right at the action, and I think it should only check if the user is authorised or not. If yes, he can get what he wants, if not he gets a ForbiddenHttpException. What you say, seems to me a little bit more complicated yet, but maybe you are right and in long terms it’s better. As I said I’m only a beginner yet so it would be absolutely no surprise if I would be wrong. :)

Anyway, thanks for your comment!

BR

c

In the meanwhile I’ve figured it out how to implemet RBAC properly so everything works perfectly as expected.