Help with Sessions

I am a new yii user and am trying to play with yii2. I have a site I am working on and while I develop locally, I like to display my session variables on the screen. Normally I would simply start the session on my index.php page and iterate over the $_SESSION array to display each Key=>Val pair.

How do I do this in Yii2? I have in my web.php file…

‘session’ => [

'name' => 'My Session Name',

'savePath' => '/path/to/save/SESSIONS',

],

as I understand it, the session autostarts? So if I wanted to iterate over the Yii::$app->session component, how would I and where do I put the code if I want it to display on every page? I was thinking the output on main.php?

Thanks in advance for input.

You can view session contents in debug toolbar but if you want to access it from code here’s how:

foreach (Yii::$app->session as $name => $value) {

echo $name . '=' . $value;

}

Thanks for the reply. I added this code to my main.php in layouts and I get an error “Array to string conversion” error on the line with “echo $name . ‘=’ . $value;” and I don’t know why.

My SiteController -> actionLogin looks like this

public function actionLogin()

{

if (!Yii::$app->user->isGuest) {

return $this->goHome();

}

$model = new LoginForm();

if ($model->load(Yii::$app->request->post()) && $model->login()) {

// get the users user_id and set some session vars....

$userID = Yii::$app->user->getId();

$userInfo = User::findOne($userID)->getAttributes();

foreach($userInfo as $key=>$val){

Yii::$app->session->set('user.'.$key,$val);

}

return $this->goBack();

} else {

return $this->render('login', [

'model' => $model,

]);

}

}

Hi, on Yii 2.0.45 and PHP 8.1 I’m getting this error when i loop through sessions

During inheritance of Iterator: Uncaught yii\base\ErrorException: Return type of yii\web\SessionIterator::current() should either be compatible with Iterator::current(): mixed, or the #[\ReturnTypeWillChange] attribute should be used to temporarily suppress the notice in vendor/yiisoft/yii2/web/SessionIterator.php:60

this is my code

$session = Yii::$app->session;
        foreach ($session as $key => $value) {
                if ($session->has($key)) $session->remove($key); //remove session
            }
        }

Any ideas? Thank you.

It’s already fixed in master so you can try switching to master@dev version for now.

1 Like

thank you!