Yii Framework Forum: Total fresher in PHP frameworks and Yii, I don't understand tutorials - Yii Framework Forum

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Total fresher in PHP frameworks and Yii, I don't understand tutorials For those, who don't understand tutorials and basic thinks. Rate Topic: ***** 19 Votes

#1 User is offline   rackycz 

• Pip
  • Yii
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:41 AM

POPULAR

Hello.

----------

Update 14d/10m/2011y:

I'm trying to rewrite the PDF manual into Yii Wiki. You can read it online here:
http://www.yiiframework.com/wiki/250

----------

Brief manual for Yii and MVC bellow. See Updates 1-3 of this post.

Update 08d/09m/2011y:

Version 7 available!

Statistics:
Versions 1-5 were downloaded totally cca 1500x
Version 6: 1000x
And version 7? :rolleyes:
----------

I can create any program in PHP. It's no problem. But now I need to work with Framework YII and I'm lost. Every single tutorial, that is ment to be a tutorial for beginers, is too complicated for me.

I don't understad why I need the "basic aplication" that is generated via command line. Every manual begins with it and the author than only changes and breafly describes the huge generated project. I dont want to change existing project, I want to create my own and brand new one.

My task is to create database and connect it to web pages. Show it's content to users. I want to create my own folder structure, logics and design. I understand, that command line can generate model of my DB. (model = recognise DB structure) That is OK. Why not.
But I dont know where to begin with my application. I dont understand how YII works.

Can anyone paste here working code of a SIMPLE application that would just read data from table and showed them in a simple CSS box? I dont want to use design that "Basic application" uses. I want to create my own.

If I could write my web pages using standard PHP it would be question of 1-2 days. But now, I have been learning and trying to understand YII for 1 week and I'm still lost.

I would love to read some "complete idot's introduction to YII" (but in simplified version) where would be shown how to create primitive application without generating any "default application". I want to create my web just using text editor! No command line, no auto generating code, only a few files ...
So I could understand meaning of all commands that are used in "Bacis application" that is generated using command: "yiic webapp test".

Thanks for replies.

Update1:

I found this helloWorld application description, which was very helpful, because it explained everything it mentioned.
http://code.google.c...es/detail?id=86
It's the kind of useful tutorial I like. But it, of course, didnt teach me everything. If anyone has something similar, let us know.

Update2:

Second thing that helped me a lot was this video.
(this link does not work any more) http://www.yiiframew...creencast/blog/
I think that following videos are ther same:
http://code.google.c...og.mov&can=4&q=
http://www.yiiframew...han-30-minutes/

I recommend to download it, because when you pause this video a form appears and hides the screen.
To download this video you need a special Addon to firefox named "Fast YouTube Download":
https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/15002

Update3: :rolleyes:

Now I understand basics od MVC and Yii and I'd like to help another beginers who are lost as same as I was one month ago. So I work on a brief introduction to MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture and Yii. It will be written in english and published in PDF. I'd like to broaden the text as I understand Yii more and more and have more and more time.. It will contain not only boring theory, but also peaces of code that could simplify beginer's work. PDFs will be available in this forum.
Leave me here comments please, so I know what is good or bad and wheather someone reads my paper..

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Sander 

• Standard Member
  • PipPip
  • Yii

Posted 16 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

Frameworks like Yii (and others) use something called 'Convention over configuration'. This means that they will significantly ease programming your webapp, but you're going to have to adhere to some predefined rules, such as directory structures and file names. Try finding some generic introductions into MVC (model-view-controller) programming, they will help you understand the logic behind them.

#3 User is offline   eskimo 

• Yii

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

downloading your PDF now. I hope it helps because I am about as lost as you were. I'll send feedback

#4 User is offline   rackycz 

• Pip
  • Yii

Posted 05 March 2010 - 08:23 PM

View Posteskimo, on 03 March 2010 - 01:18 PM, said:

downloading your PDF now. I hope it helps because I am about as lost as you were. I'll send feedback

Thanks, I'm looking forward. I hope it's understable. In next versions I'll try to rewrite some parts. Now it's main for me to show code examples and basic facts..

#5 User is offline   Seal 

• Standard Member
  • PipPip
  • Yii

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:33 PM

Nicely written.wish I came across this 8weeks ago. I have read it and still found it very useful.
Sylvester La-Tunje

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   rackycz 

• Pip
  • Yii

Posted 01 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

View PostSeal, on 21 March 2010 - 12:33 PM, said:

Nicely written.wish I came across this 8weeks ago. I have read it and still found it very useful.

Thank you for your compliments :)
Now I don't have time to finish this paper, but I hope you will be able to read more soon..

#7 User is offline   Tommy 

• Yii

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:38 AM

I'm just started learning Yii and i'm in same condition with you before. Lost and confused. I don't even know how to use my designed GUI on Yii. Downloading your PDF now and i hope i can get a hold on this framework using your tutorial.

Will inform you how's the result :D..

#8 User is offline   DarkNSF 

• Standard Member
  • PipPip
  • Yii

Posted 14 October 2010 - 01:26 PM

Reading through the Definitive Guide seemed to be more than enough for me. I'm a person that likes to deploy the skeleton and start breaking and changing stuff to see how it works.

I generally only check documentation to find proper ways of implementing (to avoid reinventing the wheel) or if I am confused about an API.

#9 User is offline   silewi 

• Pip
  • Yii

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:35 AM

The complete idiots guide to Yii was very useful, I also learned and installed
mysqlbench which seems a lot better than the phpmyadmin, thanks. :D

#10 User is offline   lowe 

• Yii

Posted 29 October 2010 - 10:13 AM

Thanks for your effort, rackycz.

#11 User is offline   Firizal 

• Yii

Posted 19 November 2010 - 03:27 AM

thanks so much im newbie to in YII !! this tutorial help me so much !! THANKs !

#12 User is offline   Temir 

• Yii

Posted 29 November 2010 - 01:17 AM

dear rackycz, thanks a lot.
about your 2nd update, the link to video doesn't work, can you give me a tip on where i can find it?

Temir

#13 User is offline   A.W.C 

• Yii

Posted 29 November 2010 - 08:41 AM

View Postrackycz, on 16 December 2009 - 07:41 AM, said:

Hello.

----------

Brief manual for Yii and MVC bellow. See Updates 1-3 of this post.

----------

I can create any program in PHP. It's no problem. But now I need to work with Framework YII and I'm lost. Every single tutorial, that is ment to be a tutorial for beginers, is too complicated for me.

I don't understad why I need the "basic aplication" that is generated via command line. Every manual begins with it and the author than only changes and breafly describes the huge generated project. I dont want to change existing project, I want to create my own and brand new one.

My task is to create database and connect it to web pages. Show it's content to users. I want to create my own folder structure, logics and design. I understand, that command line can generate model of my DB. (model = recognise DB structure) That is OK. Why not.
But I dont know where to begin with my application. I dont understand how YII works.

Can anyone paste here working code of a SIMPLE application that would just read data from table and showed them in a simple CSS box? I dont want to use design that "Basic application" uses. I want to create my own.

If I could write my web pages using standard PHP it would be question of 1-2 days. But now, I have been learning and trying to understand YII for 1 week and I'm still lost.

I would love to read some "complete idot's introduction to YII" (but in simplified version) where would be shown how to create primitive application without generating any "default application". I want to create my web just using text editor! No command line, no auto generating code, only a few files ...
So I could understand meaning of all commands that are used in "Bacis application" that is generated using command: "yiic webapp test".

Thanks for replies.

Update1:

I found this helloWorld application description, which was very helpful, because it explained everything it mentioned.
http://code.google.c...es/detail?id=86
It's the kind of useful tutorial I like. But it, of course, didnt teach me everything. If anyone has something similar, let us know.

Update2:

Second thing that helped me a lot was this video.
http://www.yiiframew...creencast/blog/
I recommend to download it, because when you pause this video a form appears and hides the screen.
To download this video you need a special Addon to firefox named "Fast YouTube Download":
https://addons.mozil...fox/addon/15002

Update3: :rolleyes:

Now I understand basics od MVC and Yii and I'd like to help another beginers who are lost as same as I was one month ago. So I work on a brief introduction to MVC (Model-View-Controller) architecture and Yii. It will be written in english and published in PDF. I'd like to broaden the text as I understand Yii more and more and have more and more time.. It will contain not only boring theory, but also peaces of code that could simplify beginer's work. PDFs will be available in this forum.
Leave me here comments please, so I know what is good or bad and wheather someone reads my paper..

Thanks Rac, Im in the process of Updating my 1st Website , this helps a lot.

Cheers

#14 User is offline   jacmoe 

• Elite Member
  • Yii
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 December 2010 - 01:26 PM

If you're looking for the screencasts:
http://www.yiiframew...om/screencasts/
"Less noise - more signal"

#15 User is offline   doodleme 

• Yii

Posted 12 December 2010 - 04:41 AM

Great tutorial !
Thank you

#16 User is offline   fouss 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Yii

Posted 13 December 2010 - 10:00 AM

Thanks rackycz!

Every beginner should this topic
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   fouss 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Yii

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:29 AM

How to make that TheSimpliestYiiApplication work?
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   vinjaya 

• Pip
  • Yii

Posted 04 January 2011 - 09:42 AM

Nice effort

You can include condifuring gii, so that you don't need to use command line to generate models, controllers.

it is just uncommenting the gii module in config/main.php

'gii'=>array(
'class'=>'system.gii.GiiModule',
'password'=>'password',
),

and then access the following URL
http://localhost/demo/index.php?r=gii

#19 User is offline   HappyGiant 

• Pip
  • Yii

Posted 08 March 2011 - 04:45 PM

Don't know if you're still here, but this is fantastic it answered my ajax questions

#20 User is offline   rackycz 

• Pip
  • Yii

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:37 AM

View PostHappyGiant, on 08 March 2011 - 04:45 PM, said:

Don't know if you're still here, but this is fantastic it answered my ajax questions

Thank you :) I'm glad that I made something usefull :)

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users