Should I Focus On Modules And Themes?

Hi everyone,

I’m totally new to Yii. So as I plan my first project, I’m suffering from textbook analysis paralysis.

My dilemma is this: I’m not always connected to the internet, so I want to develop on my local system, then export/mirror to my web server when I can.

Should I be focusing on modules and themes as a path for development?

Logically, I think that makes sense, but I don’t know enough about Yii to know for sure. Will there be some kind of drawback for always leaving the base Yii code “default” except for the few adjustments such as database connection data?

Wouldn’t it generally be a good best practice to develop this way, to always abstract my application and look from the main core code? (Kinda like WordPress, where I would always put everything into plugins/themes.)

If so, why isn’t this path more widely encouraged? I.e. why isn’t the main default application abstracted away into something like “mod_default” and “theme_default” and we can add on to it via that path? (In looking for best practices and about modules, components and extensions, no one actively encourages this model of development.)

So that makes me a little skeptical, thinking maybe there are performance hits or something else about Yii I haven’t considered. My original project won’t be that big so “peformance” isn’t quite the issue, but I figured it would be great to develop a good habit of doing things.

Any insight from your experience in development would help!

Thank you!