• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Transition To Yii Framework Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   joppo20 

• Yii
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

I'm just learning about the Yii framework and have the following question: A few months ago I started developing a websystem based on 'traditional' languages (php, html, javascript/jquery). That was also my first experience with those languages. Then I read about the php frameworks including Yii and the advantages of rapid prototype development and now I'm thinking of moving to the Yii development framework. My question (and dilemma): how easy/difficult is it to rewrite the existing (php/html/javascript/jquery) code to code for the yii platform? I developed a few webpages with formfields that are created (and be deleted) dynamiccally using jquery. Another page includes a lot of javascript code for performing some complex calculations.With my current little knowlegde I'm not sure whether I can reuse some of my current code or whether it's going to be a pain to create such kind of dynamic webpages with Yii?

Appreciate your views on this.

Joppo20

#2 User is offline   yugene 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Yii

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Good idea is first of all to follow yii blog tutorial (if you haven't yet).
As the next step, the system you describe can be a good studying project. If this system is in a production mode, and won't be changed a lot, you may leave it as it is, creating the same functionalities with yii at localhost, for example, that would give you a chance to study framework and get accustomed to it. After finishing this project, I think, you will be able to decide if to replace production with a new setup.
Actually, you don't need or have to use any framework all the time, everything depends on specific needs of a specific project. And if it's very small and doesn't require a lot of coding or a lot of specific functionalities frameworks usually provide, it's normal to go with plain php + js, using a couple third-party classes / libraries if needed.

#3 User is offline   yugene 

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Yii

Posted 24 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Oh, and welcome to forum :)

#4 User is offline   Da:Sourcerer 

• Elite Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Yii

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:09 AM

I usually do not recommend frameworks to PHP-freshers (no offense!) as they will miss a lot of (learning) experience with vanilla PHP. It's a bit sad you're not telling us a bit more about your existing knowledge regarding programming languages and frameworks. I see jQuery being listed in your post; are you comfortable with it? I'm asking because jQuery is to JavaScript as Yii is to PHP (at lerast that's often my experience :lol: )

As for your original question: If your application is really small, porting it to Yii might be a fun exercise. But as Yugene already said, you'd better finish the blog tutorial first.

As a general rule of thumb: The closer an existing application adheres to the MVC pattern, the easier it is to port to another framework.

Also: http://www.phptherightway.com/
programmer /ˈprəʊgramə/, noun: a device that converts ►coffee into ►code

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users