Why Should I Not Use Yii?

I am in the planning stages of rewriting my open source document management system using a framework. I know there’s lots of benefits to using frameworks in general, and I’ve seen lots of stuff about all of the benefits of using Yii. What are some issues I might encounter if I decide to use yii for my open source project?

Maybe someone has rewritten their project using yii and they have a few things they remember causing difficulties?

Currently there are two versions of Yii: 1.* and 2.0

Yii2 is awesome, but still under development, there’s no documentation (besides well-written phpdocs) thus some experience is required for programming under v2.

So you start with v1 and spend some time rewriting your project to Yii, and then Yii2 is out and you’re like, you know, “AW MAAAN!”

Yeah, seems like that’s the biggest problem for now. For all the other problems there are good docs, and cookbook, and API reference , and community and so on.

PS. But if you like bleeding-edge, try Yii2. It’s awesome, srsly.

You’re wrong about documentation for Yii2: https://github.com/yiisoft/yii2/blob/master/docs/guide/index.md

Oops, somehow I missed that.

Anyway, it is in "TBD" state for now, so not suitable for Yii-beginners.

If you are developing with PHP use Yii. The only reason not to use it is if your application is so small it can run in one script.

I have tried most of the frameworks out there for php. If you are starting a project from scratch. Start with YII.

I agree.