Wrong Password Causing Error

I am completely new to Yii development and I am also completely new to these forums. Reading the forums has helped me so far, but I was unable to find anything on the error I am getting. I hoping someone can help me get past a stumbling block I have encountered. For reference I am now up to Chapter 6 - Authenticating users using the DB.

Before I discuss my problem it may help to know what I am doing differently to the book. Firstly, I made the decision to use crypt with blowfish in place of MD5. I am crypting the passwords with blowfish on creation or update of users after form validation has occurred, big thanks to this article.

Secondly, I am using the password stored in the database to salt user entered passwords entered into the login form and I am comparing this against the password string in the database.

/**

* Checks if the given password is correct.

* @param string password to be validate

* @return boolean whether the password is valid

*/

public function validatePassword($password)

{

return $this->hashPassword($password)===$this->$password;

}

/**

* Calling the hashPassword function crypts the user entered password using

* the existing blowfish password contained in the DB as the salt.

*/

public function hashPassword($password)

{

return crypt($password, $this->$password);

}

I can successfully login when the username and password match what is in the DB. I also get a valid error message when entering a username that is not found in the database. However, when I type in a correct username and an incorrect password I get the following error:

CException

Property "User.test" is not defined.

/Users/jonpolygon/Documents/workspace/dev/yii/framework/db/ar/CActiveRecord.php(143)

"test" is the password that I have entered in that did not match the stored password in the database.

My authentication script has come from the book, which I think may be the culprit, but I cannot see the problem.

public function authenticate()

{

$user=User::model()->find('LOWER(username)=?', array(strtolower($this->username)));

if($user===null)

{

$this->errorCode=self::ERROR_USERNAME_INVALID;

}

elseif(!$user->validatePassword($this->password))

{

$this->errorCode=self::ERROR_PASSWORD_INVALID;

}

else

{

$this->_id=$user->id;

$this->username=$user->username;

$this->setState('lastLogin', date("m/d/y g:i A", strtotime($user->last_login_time)));

$user->saveAttributes(array('last_login_time'=>date("Y-m-d H:i:s", time()),

));

$this->errorCode=self::ERROR_NONE;

}

return $this->errorCode==self::ERROR_NONE;

}

Also I should mention that I am completely new to frameworks in general. Also, I have worked with PHP for a few years but I still consider myself a novice, so I apologize in advance if I am a bit slow to catch on.

Thanks,

Jonathan

You’re using $this->$password, which tries to use the value of $password as a property of $this. I assume it should be $this->password.

Thank you so much. I made the change from $this->$password to $this->password and that did the trick.