• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Migration Error

#1 User is offline   JimL 

• Yii
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 March 2013 - 02:21 PM

Hello all,

I am following instruction on book but I get the following error when running "yiic migrate"

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected '$this' (T_Variable in .....

Can someone please help

Thanks

#2 User is offline   Mikeyii 

• Yii
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 July 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hi
That was a pain I had to undergo.
There was an answer on Stackoverflow and I am not allowed to embed links;

Simple Answer:
the root cause of the problem when copying code snippets from Kindle books: when you copy text from the Kindle app, it uses hex code 0xA0 for space characters, not 0x20. Hex code 0xA0 is extended ASCII for non-breaking whitespace. Well, this doesn't work when you are expecting to copy-and-paste HTML literal strings, as was the case in the aforementioned posting.

And so this explains the behavior in the aforementioned posting: the original poster indicated that he could get around the problem by hand-retyping all of the text. It's because the hand re-typing was using proper 0x20.

This had other symptoms which I didn't understand at first but are now explained: my text editor (Notepad++) was not correctly identifying the reserved keywords in my source code. Again, this is because the keywords were separated by 0xA0, not 0x20. The keyword parser in Notepad++ must be tokenizing off of 0x20.

Solution: after pasting text from Kindle, perform a search and replace using regular expression searching capabilities in your source code editor. Search for regular expression \xA0 and replace it with \x20 (or, depending on your editor just type in a single space bar character in the Replace field [that is how Notepad++ works]).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users