Something Like Yii In Python

I love Yii and in my past 4 years of web development making wordpress customizations, scraping, codeiginiter … Yii is the best thing that ever happened but to tell you frankly I love Python a lot more than PHP and as I host websites on VPS/Dedicated servers I can easily get away with deployment issues so, as I have seen this question asked a lot on stackoverflow & other QnA websites I wanted to know what you people feel , for me If someone makes a Yii clone in Python I’ll switch to it instantly as I love Yii as a webframework & Python as a language.

I would love to hear views of @qiang and @samdark on this , I run a small web development firm in Dehradun, India & have made around 12-15 Yii based webapps but looking forwards to transitioning to python but Django is too much & Flask is too less , If any of you guys feel the same then do comment and we can make the next generation Web framework that’ll beat ROR and will have the joy of working in one of the most beautiful language Python !

Hell yeah! I would! \o/

I would like to add something , I was confused and a lot confused as I have running apps, businesses that rely on us but then I realized that for most of the small easy-peasy tasks I can use wordpress anyday with some modifications & believe me it’s far much better if all you need is to quickly setup sites and need lots of search engine traffic & for the heavy web apps/ portals I can use python (tied between Flask & django right now ) .

Problem with django is that it doesn’t generates CRUD like Yii does & no Jquery integration like Yii (I believe a web developer 80% time is wasted in fixing frontend javascript bugs, views of cruds & the css) on the other hand I like flask for not getting in my way but It;s like making something in core PHP & I’ll have to code too much stuff myself and worst part is it’s not much used to develop big apps (although you can if you are experienced python programmer & webdev) so presenting it to clients CTO will lead in rejection & we might lose business.

It’s like heart says Python but Brain says Yii+PHP , so I have thought of using wordpress+core php for stuff that needs to be deployed to many servers & is small , while I’ll use Python for big apps , Now I just need to have a good framework and If someone ports Yii to python I am ready to contribute/donate to the movement in cash or code.

Do you know much about Django? :)

<edit>

Yes, it is faster to develop in Yii because the views are generated. Django does not normally do that. You have a point.

</edit>

I prefer Pyramid myself - it seems to be more Yii-like.

However, Django has a huge ton of ‘stuff’, and it is known for it’s excellent CRUD. That’s it’s main strength, IMO.

People even use Django primarily to knock out admin backends (CRUD), and then write the frontend in another framework, perhaps not even Python.

But, if you’re interested in Python for webdev, do check out Pyramid (a Pylons project).

I tried a basic django tutorial & left it in between after I realized that Yii could have done this far quickly and regarding the admin part I know it’s the core strength of Django but I dont care for admin stuff (Most of Webapps are for myself ), my main goal is to generate views for frontend like yii does when we use gii for a model (Django only makes the /controller/admin part of the app easier and not controller/index or controller/view/1 ie. the frontend ).

I heard about pylons but i dont think it’s easy enough for a beginner & moreover if I need more control then I would rather choose flask as it seemed best to me but cant develop big apps in it as it will require too much of code writing & also will be hard to get my clients approve of it .