New Version Of The Book!

I posted this info as a reply to another topic but I think it is better to write a new one so that people could find it easier.

[size="2"][color="#1c2837"]I found out that you can already buy the new version of the book in a "RAW" version (and with a discount) directly from the publisher (packt). [/color][/size]

[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]The book title changed to: [/size][/color]Web Application Development with Yii and PHP

[color="#1C2837"][size="2"]Here is the link:[/size][/color]

http://www.packtpub…nd-edition/book

It almost looked as if it was another book (other name, other cover picture), but if you inspect the index you can see it is the new revision of this book. I actually bought it because I could not stand the previous version (with all the non working code) and I can confirm it is the same book, and that this version is much better than the other.

Well, I think I don’t give too much away by telling that two of the current Yii core devs had participated in reviewing that book B)

Yes, this is correct. [color=#1C2837][size=2]A second edition of this Yii book has now been released. This new edition, which is titled [/size][/color]Web Application Development With Yii And PHP[color=#1C2837][size=2], brings this first edition up-to-date with version 1.1.12 of the Yii framework. In addition to a change in the book title, there are many other changes and additions that differentiate it from the first edition. And it is also correct that we had a much better team of technical editors for this edition, two of which, as you mentioned, are on the Yii team.[/size][/color]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]

[/size][/color]

[color=#1C2837][size=2]You can visit the book’s [/size][/color]site[color=#1C2837][size=2] for more details.[/size][/color]

Great Book Jeff ! I’ve read the first edition, it was a huge help…Just 4 months into my Yii experience…but enjoying it!

As a fellow Austinite, I would love to learn more about the Yii community here in Austin. Are there any groups?

Bryan

Thank you for the kind words. I am very glad you enjoyed the book and it was helpful in getting you up and running with Yii.

And yes, there is an Austin Yii group. I started an Austin Yii meetup about 6 months ago. And it just so happens we are meeting tomorrow night (the fourth Wed of each month):

http://www.meetup.com/Austin-Yii/

Please come out if you can. It would be great to meet you.

-Jeff

I’m just about 60 pages into the book, but it is very well written. I bought it last week to help get me up to speed on Yii quickly for a time-sensitive development project coming up soon.

My project is going to require some stuff like showing a small form in a lightbox (or similar) and the use of a WYSIWYG editor with image upload/insertion support. I know that functionality really depends on third party extensions, but it would be nice to see another chapter on "Advanced UI Elements" or something. As a "get started quickly by example" book (which was the intention) it is very well done.

Thanks Jeff !

I didn’t see this on Wednesday, but will look forward to the next group meeting!