easy deployment

Hi… I would like to request this feature as it has been on Grails (grails.org, groovy on rails)

to deploy an apps, grails produce a war file (zip) that contains all that web server needed.

in yii, i found that i need to upload framework and modify yii.php file before uploading to server.

is it better to include everything when you first time call yii webapp ? all files that related to the framework should installed on the directory that needed …

the new features should be able to call command in console such as "yii make zip" and it will generate 2 files.

1 for installer (installer.php) and zip/targz file that contains everything that installer needed.

is it cool ? we can distribute those 2 files instead of on zip file for yii, and other for the web apps itself.

let me know if there are extensions for this … i am still new in yii world

Normally it makes sense to make your web application as standalone as possible. If you use Subversion you can use svn externals to manage your libraries. When you checkout/export your code you’ll automatically download your library code into the right folders where you have set svn:externals (typically inside a lib/-folder). (I always put yii framework folder as: src/lib/yii/ in my probjects).

It shouldn’t be a need to change your entry script as long as you bundle all library code within your project.

As you may know PHP also has a PHP Archive solution now: http://php.net/phar for easy distribution and installation.

on dedicated server, it would be no problem to have svn but how about on shared hosting ? i have tried several shared hosting server, they don’t have svn in their feature.

also, for general user, for those who just need to install a web apps, they will be distracted when they have to install yii first, then edit some files and then run the web apps. I know it is piece of cake, but for me, i would like to hava a package that i just need to extract and run :)

another benefit, for example, if i want to update my web apps to use newest version of yii, the user just need to download my new web apps and install then run as usual … without bothering to upgrade yii by themself.

(just like what wordpress did … they provide by ftp installer)