foreign keys and sqlite

Using: yii 1.1.8, php 5.3.3, sqlite 3.7.9 on CentOS 5.7

I am using foreign keys with ON DELETE CASCADE to maintain my table integrity. Everything works OK for MySQL. Also, if I use the sqlite3 command line interface everything seems to work right. It is just when I use sqlite and do things in code that it doesn’t seem to work.

Here are the basic structures of 3 tables that I have: tbl_user, tbl_group, tbl_user_group

[sql]CREATE TABLE tbl_user (

id INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,

username VARCHAR(128) NOT NULL UNIQUE,

);

CREATE TABLE tbl_group (

id INTEGER NOT NULL PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT,

groupname VARCHAR(128) NOT NULL UNIQUE,

);

CREATE TABLE tbl_user_group (

user_id INTEGER NOT NULL,

group_id INTEGER NOT NULL,

FOREIGN KEY(user_id) REFERENCES tbl_user(id) ON DELETE CASCADE,

FOREIGN KEY(group_id) REFERENCES tbl_group(id) ON DELETE CASCADE

);

[/sql]

Within config/main.php I have the database connection defined:

'db'=>array(

// SQLITE3 Settings

'connectionString' => 'sqlite:'.dirname(__FILE__).'/../data/dev.db',

'initSQLs'=>array(

'PRAGMA foreign_keys = ON',

),

),

I am using the activerecord class (CActiveRecord) for managing the tables. If I have a user record defined and a group record defined and I associate them with each other via the tbl_user_group table, when I delete a user then the associated record in the tbl_user_group should be automatically deleted because of the ON DELETE CASCADE.

This works for MySQL (as long as it is using the Innodb engine). If I use the sqlite3 command line interface and turn on foreign key support with:

PRAGMA foreign_keys = ON;

and delete the user record from within the CLI then it also deletes the associated tbl_user_group record in sqlite. It just doesn’t do it with sqlite when I execute this code in UserController.php inside the actionDelete function:

$model = $this->loadModel($id);

$model->delete();

It seems like the ‘initSQLs’ is not working correctly to turn foreign key support on within sqlite. Has anyone gotten this type of thing to work?

Found out the answer on this one so I thought I would report back.

Turns out that just because I installed a newer version of sqlite (3.7.9) on my system, that new version is not automatically what is used by PHP. PHP will use whatever PDO version is compiled into it. I discovered this by running phpinfo and saw that the version of sqlite that was being used within PHP was an older version than what I had installed and it was one that did not have foreign key support.

I chose to download and compile a new version of PHP (5.3.8). Using the instructions at linuxadminzone.com/download-compile-install-and-configure-php-5-3-5-in-linux as a guideline and with a lot of persistence, I finally got it all working. It was not a simple task and if I had to do it all over again I would probably just start with a new LAMP install. It would probably have taken less time.