Yii install folder

I have XAMPP installed on Windows XP and I see the following instructions:

Unpack the Yii release file to a Web-accessible directory.

BUT I also see:

Tip: Yii does not need to be installed under a Web-accessible directory. An Yii application has one entry script which is usually the only file that needs to be exposed to Web users. Other PHP scripts, including those from Yii, should be protected from Web access since they may be exploited for hacking.

So I first installed it into:

C:\xampp\yiiroot but when I tried to run the requirements test it could get to that location so when I stuck it into the c:\xampp\htdocs\yiiroot then I could run it.  Obviously it is because there isn't an alias to it, but then creating an alias to c:\xampp\yiiroot would be defeating the "protection".

So how can I install in some location other than htdocs so it isn't accessible by web, but work for framework.

Thanks,

Greg

the requirements test is self-contained so it does not require the framework. The framework directory can be and should be placed outside the web document root. Usually the only change required is references to the framework directory in your entry index.php script.

Cheers, Wei.

Thanks… I ended up pulling out the required folder and that worked… and put yii outside the published are and that works fine.

Thanks.

I’m going to go ahead and setup LAMP environment on my Centos 5.2 image as well.  Talk about a different world.  I have a lot to learn with linux based stuff.  Yum this… Sudo that.  :)

Nothing like getting in there and mucking things up.