Different default controllers for guest and authorized users

Hi there!

If you need to display different versions of the index page (i.e. use different controllers), depending on whether a user is a guest or not, you may use the following code: (add this to config/main.php)

'onBeginRequest' => function () {

if (!Yii::app()->user->isGuest) {

Yii::app()->defaultController = 'dashboard';

}

},

good tip!

:)

I guess I should mention that this will not work on PHP < 5.3

Anyway, all progressive coders are already on 5.3 branch ;) Anonymous functions alone are well worth it

Since this only changes the defaultController, it appears that this can be easily overridden with a simple URL.

For Example: mysite?r=site/index

Does anyone know of a more robust method of creating and using a GuestController for a guest user?

@nwap is right…I need to know a more robust way too!!!

Nwap, you may use access filters to force the needed behaviour

@tedd,could you please give a practical example with access filters to force the needed behavior…

like your default controller trips…

thanks

bipu

As nwap noticed, a guest user can easily access DashboardController by simply typing "index.php?r=dashboard/index". The solution is to forbid access of unauthorized users to DashboardController by using access filters:

class DashboardController extends Controller 

{

public function filters ()

{

return array(

'accessControl',    

);

}

public function accessRules ()

{

// allow only authenticated users

return array(

array('allow',

'users' => array('@'),

),

array('deny',

'users' => array('?'),

),

);

}

/** the rest of the code */

}

tedd,

I think your suggestion is Yii’s “standard” solution

However, I am trying to setup a webapp where only a few select pages are accessible by ‘Guest’. The rest require an authorized user for access.

I’d like a solution that satisfies the following goals:

1. If I forget to do something (such as update the accessRules() method on a new controller), I want the safe default behavior. In other words deny access to ‘Guest’.

2. If access is denied to ‘Guest’, I want Yii to redirect to the login page instead of showing an error.

I’ve come up with a solution that satisfies these goals, but since I’m very new to Yii, I’m looking for feedback and/or suggestions from the Yii community.

Here are the changes that I made:

In the array returned by ‘protected/config/main.php’, I added a params[‘publicPages’] entry:

'params'=>array(

// List of public pages that can be accessed without authentication.

// All other pages will result in a redirect to the login page.

'publicPages'=>array(

'site/login',

'site/error',

),

),

In ‘protected/components/Controller.php’, I overrode the runActionWithFilters() method:

/**

* Runs an action with the specified filters.

* Extends the CController::runActionWithFilters() function.

* If a Guest user is trying to access a non-public page, then redirect to the login page.

* @param CAction $action the action to be executed.

* @param array $filters list of filters to be applied to the action.

*/

public function runActionWithFilters($action,$filters)

{

$params=Yii::app()->params;

if(isset($params) && isset($params['publicPages']))

{

$route="{$this->id}/{$action->id}";

if (!in_array($route, $params['publicPages']))

{

if (Yii::app()->user->isGuest)

{

Yii::app()->user->loginRequired();

return;

}

}

}

parent::runActionWithFilters($action,$filters);

}

Seems to work for me on v1.1.7 and v1.1.8 – Please comment.

This solution seems not be robust as it requires to set pages which should be given access.

In my point of view, Access rules are best

http://www.yiiframework.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18854-different-default-controllers-for-guest-and-authorized-users/page__view__findpost__p__109372

the second solution is that, in each action, we need to check is it allowed for the current user

public function actionIndex(){

if(Yii::app()->user->IsGuest){

$this->redirect('site/login');

}

}

PeRoChAk,

However, that is the whole point. As stated in my #1 goal, for websites where most of the pages require some type of authorization, I want the default behavior to block all pages without having to write the same code in every controller and/or every action.

I do not understand how using access rules satisfies my original #1 goal:

Just use inheritance.

I did use inheritance.

http://www.yiiframework.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18854-different-default-controllers-for-guest-and-authorized-users/page__view__findpost__p__111541

I did this. I have also enabled pretty URLs too.

Now when I login I get dashboard in the URL <sitename>/index.php. How do I get the page <sitename>/dashboard as the default page when user logs in?