Lookup field problem?

My noob question…

I have a table with "categories" that are related (indirectly) in a hierarhy by using the ENestedSet extension.

I try to figure out how to create a simple Create Category form where user should

enter the name of category and select a parent category (or no parent if category is a new root)

1. I try to use a dropDownList, but my problem is that the implementation of Category has no parent_id field.

Parent category is determinated by left,right,level indexes in category table and no parent attribute exists in table,

so i think $form->dropDownList($model,…) is not possible here because my category $model has no parent_id attribute, so how should i make it?

1. Drop down list is a limited solution to this, because i can not estimate how many category records will exists

in future… so i think i need a modal form, with pagging, but don’t know yet how to do it… :(

any sugestions?

thanks in advance…

First. I’m glad that you use my extension. Second. You can use this widget for this:

class CategorySelectWidget extends CInputWidget

{

public $root;

public $showRoot=true;

public $condition='';

public function run()

{

$root=Category::model()->roots()->findByAttributes(array('name'=>$this->root));

if($root!==null)

{

$categories=$root->descendants()->findAll(array('select'=>'id,title,level','condition'=>$this->condition));

if($this->showRoot)

$categories=array_merge(array($root),$categories);

foreach($categories as $category)

$category->title=str_repeat('—',$this->showRoot ? $category->level-1 : $category->level-2).' '.CHtml::encode($category->title);

if(!isset($this->htmlOptions['encode']))

$this->htmlOptions['encode']=false;

echo CHtml::activeDropDownList($this->model,$this->attribute,CHtml::listData($categories,'id','title'),$this->htmlOptions);

}

}

}