About License

First of all I’ll apologize if something like this has been asked before, I’ve made a full forum-search and couldn’t find it by topic.

So, here it goes:

I’m planning to use Yii as the code-base for a bigger project. This will probably require some modifications in the current yii code as well as adding my own code.

The point is, if at some point in the future I decide to make the whole thing (yii code + yii altered code + custom code) closed-source to conform a commercial product, there would be any license implications?

Thank you very much!

P.S.: As usual, sorry for my bad english! :slight_smile:

DiegoBM,

1. You shouldn’t remove copyrights from source code (your app doesn’t have to display copyrights or mention Yii).

2. You should include a copy of BSD license into app distribution (framework folder is enough, your app can be distributed under another license).

3. You shouldn’t promote your app saying it’s based on Yii (without asking Yii team first).

So it gives you a lot of freedom and there will be no license implications in your case.

As for modifications of the core framework, it’s not forbidden but I hope Yii will be flexible enough not to hack its core.

Thank you samdark!

That’s a really flexible license indeed!

I don’t know whether or not I’ll need to modify the core, but I needed to clarify that point for whatever the future will bring me. As far as I know the yii framework is flexible enough for the ideas in my mind.

Thank you again!