What is stored in runtime ?

Wondering what is stored in runtime …

I see the logs, of course, but there are other files in there. What is their function, what do they contain, and how are they generated ? I looked through the docs but could not find details other than they are temp files …

thank you !

Some cached data.

Yes, but what data, exactly ? I am fine tuning performance and storage on my server and am wondering what all these files do, how they affect the performance, etc …

Near end of default application configuration file, you can find:

'log'=>array

(

'class'=>'CLogRouter',

'routes'=>array

(

array

(

'class'=>'CFileLogRoute',

'levels'=>'error, warning',

)

),

),

This means that you have CFileLogRoute enabled by default and all error or warning level trace messages will be stored right in your protected/runtime folder.

If you are using Gii Tool (see documentation) then in also unpacks some of its contents into this folder.

I never heard that files in runtime (or similar in assets) folder would have any noticeable influence on application performance, but I may be in wrong.

I found CSS,HTML and URI folders inside runtime.Anybody knows what are they fore?They seem to be related with HTMLPurifier.I am cleanining my folders from non useful files,and I dont know if I should delete those…

I haven’t been working with CHTMLPurifier yet, but AFAIK you can delete everything in both runtime and assets folder, as these are purely runtime folders and whatever gets there will always be recreated - if required and missing. Your application can’t break on missing files in these folders, it will only be a little bit slower first time, when recreating this files. At least that’s what I’ve been told.

BTW: You should purge this folders whenever you’re updating framework to a new version. That is one of top positions on check-list, when doing upgrade.

Thanks Trejder!

Hey, no problem - always happy, if I can help! :]

BTW: Just a small technical notice. Forum moderators (greets, mdomba! :]) and many users (like me! :]) prefers expressing your thanks, by clicking +1 (bottom right corner) for the post, that in your opinion deserves to be promoted, instead of writing "Thanks" in next post body. But, of course, you may disagree and do, whatever you prefer.

No problem,I did just did that.But why is it so important?What’s in for those who stack up votes?Is there a prize ??

Yes, but it is a secret, so shhhh :mellow:

I can’t tell if you are joking or not! I never paid attention to votes ,and I am surprised to find out they are important to some people.

Hope someone will explain to me…

Don’t worry… he is joking…

The voting means to a user only what he wants it to mean to himself :D

If you go to the user profile page you can see there how many votes a user got (under reputation) - for example you now have 3…

This number is not shown anywhere on user posts… only on user profile page…

But when you look at any forum thread, by checking these + votes, you can find the most interesting posts there on first sight (in contrast to posts with the "thank you" answer")…

That’s one reason why giving a + vote on a good answer is helpful to users that will read a thread in the future… the other reason is that a user that has spent some time to help you (analyze your problem and write the answer or give a good suggestion) this way gets some merits from you so maybe he can feel a bit better by seeing that you liked his answer :D

OK,it’s meaningful if people want to find the most interesting post-makes sense.It also makes sense if someone is in the development team and answering forum questions on a regular basis,+ votes show that he is doing a good job…

But other than these cases,I think it’s a weird obsession!

Thanks for the explanation.

PS.Yeah yeah,I 'll vote too!

OT (off topic)

Don’t think wrong… members of the dev team (including me) are the least ones that checks this votes… and there are many non dev. team members that helps in the forum on regular base… so it’s good to acknowledge them by voting them too :D

You wouldn’t believe how much some users value those votes (you would say they are obsessed)

(I didn’t say it :) - but I think it :D )…

before… we had even a negative vote if you remember… but there where many users complaining that they will leave this forum and not help anymore because someone voted their post negative (only one post)… so in the end we just disabled the negative voting just because of that…

There where some posts about this voting and about not useful posts like when a post has just “thank you” text… that’s where I first wrote that those posts are not useful and that instead a + vote can be given… that means the same things… but as I explained before it can be even used by future readers to find good posts in a long thread so that they don’t need to read all the conversation… just the most interesting posts… and that IMO is the most useful usage for the voting system…

Wow.so it is an obsession for some people…Anyway,your explanation exhausted the topic.

Thanks…