DropDownList >> multiple

I have a dropdown list:

<?php echo $form->dropDownList($cats, 'category_id', CHtml::listData(Categories::model()->getCats(),'category_id','category_name'), array('prompt'=> 'Please Select', 'multiple' => 'multiple')); ?>

I can populate the $cats variable like this and all is fine:

$criteria=new CDbCriteria;

$criteria->condition = 'language_id = ' . Yii::app()->params['lang'] . ' and product_id = ' . $_GET['id'];

$cats = ProductCategories::Model()->find($criteria);

This will return the dropdown list in update view with a selected category. Problem is that this is a multiple select list, but if I try the following I get an error:

$cats = ProductCategories::Model()->findAll($criteria);

findAll() returns an array of objects and gives the following error:

get_class() expects parameter 1 to be object, array given

So, how can I ouput this dropdownlist with multiple options selected?

Ok, solved this in a roundabout way, but suspect there is an easier way.

Firstly, I changed my dropdown list:

<?php echo CHtml::dropDownList('ProductCategories[category_id[]]', $cats, CHtml::listData(Categories::model()->getCats(),'category_id','category_name'), array('prompt'=> 'Please Select', 'multiple' => 'multiple')); ?>

I then populated the $cats variable (previously selected options in database records) as follows:

$criteria->condition = 'language_id = ' . Yii::app()->params['lang'] . ' and product_id = ' . $id;

$cat_result = ProductCategories::Model()->findAll($criteria);

$cats = array();

foreach($cat_result as $val) {

$cats[] = $val->category_id;

}

If somebody knows a more “correct” way, please post :)

A more correct way to populate my $cats variable, but have not found how to get around the fact that Yii returns relations as an array of objects.

Since my product_categories table is declared in relations, I can use the following:

$cats = array();

foreach($model->productCategories as $val) {

$cats[] = $val->category_id;

}

First at all why you use a param in query when param is defined variable and you cant change it? :)

$criteria->condition = 'language_id = ' . Yii::app()->params['lang'] . ' and product_id = ' . $id;

$cat_result = ProductCategories::Model()->findAll($criteria);	   

$data =CHtml::listData($cat_result,'id','ime');  

and in view

<?php echo CHtml::dropDownList('ProductCategories[category_id][]', 0, $data, array('prompt'=> 'Please Select', 'multiple' => 'multiple')); ?>

What makes you think I cannot change it??

if(isset($_GET['lang'])) {

Yii::app()->params['lang'] = (int)$_GET['lang'];

}

Sory i dint konw that thanks for your advice :)

To me its the easiest way when working with a multilingual site in Yii. I use an integer for language_id to keep it simple, since to filter the input (URL) all that is needed is (int)… rather than lang=es which opens the application to attack and must be filtered.

And thanks to you for reminding me I can use listData:

$cats = CHtml::listData($model->productCategories,'category_id', 'category_id');