Advanced components in Ext4Yii Framework.

Hi,

I have included screen shots of some advanced controls in Ext4Yii.

Please visit this thread

Nice one.

I love ExtJS but I don’t love its expensive commercial license :D

I understand. But license is a small amount to play if you consider the functionality you get to develop your applications and utilize them commercially :)

Hello,

i will be glad if the EXt4yii framework will have more examples and tutorials

i wish to use it but…license issues

More examples and tutorials are coming in 0.7.

About the license… could you please explain your concern?

Hello Gevik,

i am also concerned about Ext4Yii licensing.

I am a freelancer and want to use Ext4Yii for a Yii framework based php project developing for a client, which will run in their local office, for which i am charging them.

And here i am doubtful whether i can use it or not as i am charging the client for the software.

Plz clarify.

Hi,

The Ext4Yii licensing model is basically the same model as ExtJS’s license. In short it means:

The open-source edition is good for if you:

1. Develop and distribute open-source GPL 3.0 compatible software, or

2. Use the framework for personal testing, training, educational or demonstration purposes, or

3. Develop software for personal use, or

4. Develop software for use only within your organization (company, corporation, charity, etc). The software must not be accessible or developed by any persons outside your organization. By “your organization” means your company and NOT your customer’s company.

The open-source edition cannot be used if you:

1. Develop closed-source software which might be used, accessed, installed, purchased or obtained by persons from outside your organization or company. for example "a customer"

2. Distribute or resell your software and do not want to provide the full client-side and server-side source code required to run and further develop open-source applications with your source-code.

3. Do not wish to use an open-source GPL 3.0 License.

4. For a commercial product, each developer using the Ext4Yii framework to develop that product needs to have a valid commercial license

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Gevik.

Yeah i got it all.

In short, i cannot charge anything for my work if i use this library. isn’t it!

Its a customized software for that company, although it can be resaled.

i have 2 more points:

[1] what if i provide full source code, both client & server side can it be charged?

[2] what if the organization for which the software is to be developed appoints me as their employee & i do development work for them & then leave the job.

Thanks & Regards,

Anupam

>> In short, i cannot charge anything for my work if i use this library. isn’t it!

This is not true. You can charge for your labor. The license doesn’t have any say in that.

The license says: if you make money with this framework as a contractor or as the company who uses the product that is created with this framework, you should buy a license if you are not going to place the develped software under GPL3

>>[1] what if i provide full source code, both client & server side can it be charged?

Assuming the final product you develop will be released under GPL3, then you do not need a license form Ext4Yii.

But you still are free to charge your customer for your labor.

>>[2] what if the organization for which the software is to be developed appoints me as their employee & i do development work for them & then leave the job.

please read this page: http://www.sencha.com/company/dual.php. It explains it all

Thanks Gevik, it is so helpful. thanks for clarifying.

Regards,

Anupam

Hi,

and how it is with community portals? The code will be placed on the server and only I’ll have to look at it. I have to use commercial license?

In this case, you may not need a commercial license. However this is going to change because ExtJS is going to change their license type and Ext4Yii will follow.

Please read the licensing part at: http://www.sencha.com/blog/2010/09/03/sencha-touch-pricing-and-much-more/

Excellent work, nice to see a few controller/model and json examples - this will really help me achieve my goals of my next app.

I love ExtJS but it’s not support RTL ( right to left ).

I hope it will support it soon.

RTL support will be in ExtJS 4.0 being released in feb. next year and naturally Ext4Yii will follow.

I follow extjs from release 1.0 when it was still so young.

Maybe I will take care about it on feb when extjs 4.0 will be released :)

Anyway I will give a try again to extjs, I want to develop a little new project.

I will develop first only with yii, than with ext4yii

Would be nice to see the outcome :)

Anyway it would be nice if in the next release you add comething like CActiveForm or CHtml to create forms and not use the ExtJS markup.

I will take a deep read to the documentations in the next days :)